Van-X curtain rail.

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Rapidair65
Bongolier

Van-X curtain rail.

Post by Rapidair65 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:05 pm

Fitting a Van-X curtain behind the cab seats and the headlining will not take a screw. How do you attach the rail? The only option I can see is to epoxy thread inserts into the headlining or drop the headlining and use bolts with large flat washers to take the load. Anyone any suggestions?
1998 green and silver V6 called 'Blossom'
2004 white 2 litre tin top called Buzz.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Van-X curtain rail.

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:18 pm

I've previously used the nut and bolt approach but I've also use these type of spring 'nuts' for self tapping screws in the headlining: http://www.boltproducts.com/self-retain ... 4_489.html
Rapidair65
Bongolier

Post by Rapidair65 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:32 pm

Thanks Simon. We called this type of fastener a clip nut in aviation. They are used to attach floor panels to floor beam flanges and replace riveted anchor nuts. I am going to try a thread insert designed for wood with an M4 internal thread and a very coarse external thread. This will be epoxied into the headlining panel. McDonnell Douglas used this type of nut on their DC9 airliners very successfully on early composite panels which were wood skinned with a corrugated cardboard core.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:36 am

Hi
I'm not too sure of the position you're talking about, so I don't know the clearance, but would rubber nuts be use-able? They are a rubber top-hat with a standard nut in the back, and as you tighten, the rubber expands....they used to be suitable for hollow doors. I would use them in conjunction with a bit of decent epoxy on the back of the rail
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Rapidair65
Bongolier

Post by Rapidair65 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:16 am

Hi Helen, The OH wanted a curtain between the cab and the main part of the van for privacy while using the loo or if we were wild camping. I bought a Van-X curtain but when I came to attach the rail to the headlining behind the front seats, the screws would not hold as the material seems to be a very thin honeycomb material with the cloth covering. Similar stuff is used on aircraft ceiling panels and we would use steel inserts bonded in with epoxy. I can't get hold of the aircraft inserts so I'm going to try some I found on line which are similar to ones used on early wood based composites. Fingers crossed!!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:38 am

As temporary job I drape an old curtain over the front headrests.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi
Ah...I've only mounted bits in the front by the windscreen...I fixed a centre console with a TV screen and a couple of gauges in there...I seem to remember puttng some bracing behind it, and a good dose of epoxy...If the area you are using is a bit thinner, what about a small gauge rivnut bonded in?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Rapidair65
Bongolier

Post by Rapidair65 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Done it! Rail and curtains now fitted. The curtains needed shortening by nine inches so I took the opportunity to insert some shot into the hem. This helps the curtains to drape properly. The headlining issue was solved by using the steel M4 thread inserts installed using epoxy. The material is very thin, probably less than 5mm but the inserts seemed to hold. At least now the OH can use the khazi and keep her modesty intact!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:07 pm

Result. =D>

If you put a bungy cord between the grab handles on one side it will hold a loo roll and kitchen roll. :wink:
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:57 pm

Bob wrote:As temporary job I drape an old curtain over the front headrests.
Towels work well too.

I fixed an expandable curtain rail to the edging with crocodile clips on Tintin
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
andrewl
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by andrewl » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:03 pm

Rapidair65 wrote:Done it! Rail and curtains now fitted.
Hi - first time poster and new Bongo owner here. I've just bought the same Van-X cab divider curtains for my '97 AFT. Stupid question, but whereabouts did you locate the rail? Seems like the ideal place is right where the open/close switch for the top lives.

Thanks,

Andrew

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”