Bongo Turbo

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongogreenride
Bongonaut

Bongo Turbo

Post by bongogreenride » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:06 pm

I have a 2.5 bongo Diesel 1998 camper.

The original turbo on my bongo, the wastegate actuator gate was stuck, garage said, they tried to free it but suggested another if possible. Still got the old one...

Important fact:- The Bongo was NOT using oil AT ALL, at this stage... [-X

So, I got a second hand from Bongo spares supplier.

However when cylinder head gasket, was replace, which was leaking, (at the same time as turbo from Bongo Spares was to be fitted), tested head, and it would not come up to pressure, and on inspection there was a hair line crack in the cylinder head.

Bongo has had a strip down, rebuild, and brand new head and all extras(sensors etc) from Bongo Fury. It has been checked and double checked for leaks etc. ALL is fine. NOTHING LEAKING.

BONGO IS NOW DRINKING OIL, 200 miles 1 pint.
The second hand Turbo from is making a squealing noise and whine. Like a plane setting off.
Only thing garage can think of is this turbo off an old Bongo is knackered and it is letting oil around the bearing and so we are burning oil.

There is NO black smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Rings are OK, as it would have been burning oil before the new head was fitted.
Head is brand new not re conned.
Any IDEAS FOLKS???? :?:
ALSO, WHERE DO BONGO RIDERS GET A TURBO RE CONNED RELIABLY PLEASE?????? #-o
Last edited by Simon Jones on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed supplier name
adscatt
Bongonaut

Re: Bongo Turbo

Post by adscatt » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:14 pm

If its whining badly get it replaced asap, you don't want it failing, sucking its own oil up and running on that (this will result in engine revving on its own and causing severe engine damage)

Have you or the garage spoken to the turbo supplier, they may send you a replacement?

Can the garage not make 1 good turbo out of the 2 you have?
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:05 pm

My lad as just fitted a new turbo cartridge to his 1.9DCi Renault Megane cost about £100.. the cartridges tend to be available for loads of vehicles check on eBay .. he got his from here ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/turbocharger- ... pg=&_from=

Once the turbo is off it was a very easy half hour job to do ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:34 pm

If you haven't already done so, contact the supplier of the turbo to explain the problems and I'm sure they will sort you out a replacement.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:33 pm

where in the country are you.
PM me the garage details who did the work.
is the turbo the variable vane turbo (later one). was the replacement the correct turbo.

problems with engine power can make the turbo not spool up properly. sounds like it needs someone who knows what they are doing.
maybe the head gasket hasnt been replaced properly, a compression cylinder test should show up problems.

early turbo, up to ate 1997.
http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html

later turbo.http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html.

if you study both links then click on the drawing number for the turbo this will open the boxes up on the left hand margin, then you can see part numbers. cross check your part number on the original turbo and replacement.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:56 pm

Simon Jones wrote:If you haven't already done so, contact the supplier of the turbo to explain the problems and I'm sure they will sort you out a replacement.
Ditto... pronto.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:58 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:where in the country are you.
PM me the garage details who did the work.
is the turbo the variable vane turbo (later one). was the replacement the correct turbo.

problems with engine power can make the turbo not spool up properly. sounds like it needs someone who knows what they are doing.
maybe the head gasket hasnt been replaced properly, a compression cylinder test should show up problems.

early turbo, up to ate 1997.
http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html

later turbo.http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html.

if you study both links then click on the drawing number for the turbo this will open the boxes up on the left hand margin, then you can see part numbers. cross check your part number on the original turbo and replacement.
I think you have that the wrong way round. :D
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:22 pm

the way i was thinking is if the rockers arnt set right or the timings out the turbo wont make it go.
bongogreenride
Bongonaut

Post by bongogreenride » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Hello guys, just returned after another trial run after speaking to the garage, who did not seem to say the engine would be knackered by turbo malfunction, In fact he was talking about removal of the turbo!!!!!!!! Which I did not think a good idea.
Anyway, thanks for your assistance everyone, GREATLY appreciated !!!!! I am still unresolved :cry:

The turbo that was on the Bongo, 1998, 2.5 diesel, 2WD automatic, (which I still have and was just, so says the garage, block- jammed at wastegate) is Spec VJ24 9609 Serial No RHF5 23568A Part no WL01.
Because I could not get a new turbo, for the vehicle and Bongo Fury said they are over a thousand pounds and they could not get them in this country, took their advice and purchased one from a recommended bongo breakers, and gave them the above details. So turbo is an old one, off another vehicle, so probably knackered and not exchangeable..
This turbo is still whining and spinning like a jet plane, and using oil, another pint this trip.
We have just had a cylinder head replacement, last month.
Area is Scotland.
Does anyone still need the garage name and chap who did the cylinder head replacement???
I asked him about setting the tappets, at the time and he said they were pre-set, so what more can one do ????????
Asking the garage to put back the original turbo is possibly the best idea.?????????
Any further ideas OR DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN PURCHASE A NEW TURBO as per details above for Henry Bongo ????? [-o< Thanks folk!!!!
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:18 pm

What did the supplier say when you contacted them to explain the problem? Most suppliers of used parts offer a warranty of a few weeks in case there are any problems as it is not always possible to test every single part before shipping it out.

You can buy brand new pattern part for £225 so why not get a refund and put the money towards this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-Bongo-F ... 4189322e57
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:20 pm

Where in Scotland do you bide.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:26 pm

bongogreenride ....PM sent.

Return to “Techie Stuff”