Original Mazda remote central locking system

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

g4rky

Original Mazda remote central locking system

Post by g4rky » Thu May 27, 2010 8:45 pm

Dear All,

My first post here - have spent the last couple of days searching the archives of the forum looking for the answer to this but have failed so far!

Here's the story....

My 97 Bongo tintop has factory fitted remote central locking which used to work. It packed up a few months ago and as I had already purchased a Toad alarm for the Bongo, I decided that I would use the toad alarm to control the central locking too.

Now the nice weather has arrived, before the rainy season comes I thought I'd have a go at fitting the toad into the Bongo.

All done now except for the central locking. Here's my question!

I know my Bongo has an actuator in the drivers door, as well as the other doors, as the Mazda remote used to open it, so, I wanted to find the location of the original Mazda radio remote control ( receiver ) so I could pick up the trigger wire(s) that fired the locks - but I cant find it anywhere!!!

I have the CD with the wiring manuals on it which I bought from the club shop a while ago and I cant find anything about the remote locking on there, or the online manuals or parts catalogues :cry:

If anyone has any tech info or tips on the original Mazda radio remote control system, anything at all, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks in advance,

Best wishes to all,
Matt
Shipham, Somerset.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Re: Original Mazda remote central locking system

Post by 321Away » Fri May 28, 2010 1:52 pm

you cant pick up the drivers door motor from inside the vehicle and dont touch the locking relay it'll only end in tears!! you have to run the drive wires (lock/unlock) into the drivers door, when you remove the door panel you'll find some bits stuck to the reverse of the panel, this the the remote interface, on the door under the plastic, follow the loom to a white multi plug, go either side of it, the wires you need are a red and a green, the other 2 a blue and black are power for the unit, leave them alone and dont think 'why dont i just remove all the extra wiring?', cos is you do you lose some functions! so just tie you control wires onto the red/green the door and you'll be able to directly control the drivers door motor,which in turn drives the rest of the system.
julian
g4rky

Post by g4rky » Sat May 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi Julian,

You're a star! Thanks :-)

I had taken the drivers door card off the night before I posted and had unplugged the electric window switch - I never even looked at the card when I placed it carefully out of harms way in the back of the Bongo!

After I read your post, I went out and looked and there it was.... not there anymore though :D

I ran a couple of wires from the red and green like you said and everything is now working perfectly thanks for your help.

Incidentally, I have become horribly familiar with the inner workings of the central locking timer relay box that fires the other 3 doors solenoids and reckon that I could repair one if needed, so if anyone out there is stuck, get in touch!

Thanks for taking the time to reply Julian. Have a great bank holiday weekend

Cheers
Matt
aquabongo

Post by aquabongo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:03 am

I seem to be in the same position, though fitting a different after market unit.
What signals do the red and green require? 0v and +12v pulse to open and revers polarity pulse to close?
Thanks,
Andy.
g4rky

Post by g4rky » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi Aqua Bongo,

Yes thats right, the 12v is applied one way round to lock and the other way round to unlock.

My toad alarm unit had two relays in it and I was able to cable it up to work with this quite easily.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Matt
g4rky

Post by g4rky » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Ah, yes indeed... I think I know what this may be caused by.

Behind the glove box on the right hand side of the main ECU is a box the size of a ciggarette packet with a plug in the bottom.

This is a timer unit and fires all the other central locking motors in the car except the drivers door. It contains a pair of relays and some electronic components. It has a fairly meaty 12V supply to it and this is fed by a fuse in the internal fusebox by the drivers right knee.

I am at work right now and all my notes I made when I did my Toad instal are there. As soon as I get home I will email again with all the details of the box, the fuse number and anything else I can find.

I am certain we can fix this together.

Matt
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Here are the guts of it;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Snorker73
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Snorker73 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:38 pm

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I may have got a bit carried away and 'broken' something.
I bought an eBay central locking system and found the power, connected and tested the servo, it moved when the fob is pressed. I thought I was 95% there but I may have made an oops when connecting to the existing driver door servo.
It will now unlock every door. But only lock the driver's door. That bit has stopped working.
I've checked the fuses (number 4 on top row) it looks fine if a little old.
The old unit has 5 wires red, black, blue, green and green/white. The new unit has 5 black, white, brown blue green. The the guide only lista the colours, not the purpose.
I have unplugged the new unit, but the door only unlocks on central, not lock.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:18 pm

That sounds like you might have a broken wire on the original central locking switch, a common problem normally at the drivers door hinge.
On the door switch itself there is a Blue/Red which is power to the switch, then two wires one for open one for close ,Yellow/Red and White/Black these feed the signal back to the control module down behind the glove box, normal problem is one of the wires has broken and hence won't send the release signal to the control module.
Central locking.JPG
If you have a meter check to see if the switch is sending the signal in the door itself and then check that wire all the way back down to the control module, most likely a break possibly in the door hinge section when you were running the other wires.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”