The Mystery Switch?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

DazzaJay
Apprentice Bongonaut

The Mystery Switch?

Post by DazzaJay » Mon May 27, 2024 9:45 am

G'day from Australia.
My brother owns a 2001 Bongo Friendee Camper, and he's been looking everywhere for the answer to this question.

(His bongo did not come with the owners manual, and Google has been even more useless than normal. I even tried asking an AI, but it got it wildly wrong by claiming its a warning light for coolant too hot)

What is this button/Switch? It's located to the down and right of the steering wheel.
The Mystery Button
The Mystery Button
IMG_20240527_090448~2.jpg (25.6 KiB) Viewed 434 times
The Mystery Button and surrounding area.
The Mystery Button and surrounding area.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: The Mystery Switch?

Post by g8dhe » Mon May 27, 2024 10:03 am

Its the engine fast heating button, used in Northern Japan, it forces the exhaust gasses back around the engine to get it hot quicker by closing a valve in the exhaust. In the UK they are immediately stripped out as they are fully exposed under the vehicle and handle the hot exhaust gases hence they rust badly and invariably seize up in the re-circulate position - NOT A GOOD OPTION!!!!
cold_start_exhaust_valve.jpg
cold_start_exhaust_valve.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Try a search on "exhaust recirculate valve" for more info or "Northern Japan" plenty of info about removing them and sealing the vacuum pipe!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
DazzaJay
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by DazzaJay » Mon May 27, 2024 11:07 am

Thanks for that. I will let my brother know, as he lives in a coastal area, so it's probably started rusting out already.
DazzaJay
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by DazzaJay » Wed May 29, 2024 8:37 am

g8dhe wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:03 am Its the engine fast heating button, used in Northern Japan, it forces the exhaust gasses back around the engine to get it hot quicker by closing a valve in the exhaust. In the UK they are immediately stripped out as they are fully exposed under the vehicle and handle the hot exhaust gases hence they rust badly and invariably seize up in the re-circulate position - NOT A GOOD OPTION!!!!
cold_start_exhaust_valve.jpg

Try a search on "exhaust recirculate valve" for more info or "Northern Japan" plenty of info about removing them and sealing the vacuum pipe!
Just to confirm that i am 100% looking at the correct thing, that would be what Yoshi Parts are referring to as the "Exhaust Shutter Valve System"?
Screenshot 2024-05-29 173628.png
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 29, 2024 9:43 am

Yes 13-540 is the valve itself the rest is the connection and control from the vacuum system which operates it. You need to seal the vacuum tube when its removed otherwise your other vacuum operated controls will be affected!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
DazzaJay
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by DazzaJay » Wed May 29, 2024 10:17 am

Awesome! thanks for that.
I also just started a new thread on an issue my brother is having where it does the dreadded flashing glow plugs light and goes into limp mode, and was wondering if i should add this valve to the already big list of things to check that i have obtained from searching other threads...

viewtopic.php?t=79022
k1r4p7b6
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by k1r4p7b6 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:58 pm

By the way, have you had any luck finding solutions for similar issues in other threads?

Return to “Bongo Chat”