Which one would you choose?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

winchman
Supreme Being

Re: Which one would you choose?

Post by winchman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Mine is a Tintop with a small dent on one arch and could do with the arches repairing so I asked a bit less, it will sell at Easter no problem as prices tend to increase once the weather improves.
Look for one they had had for a long time and not just bought a Dud and selling it on
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Bongolia wrote:
rita wrote:Whatever vehicle you decide to go for I would Strongly recommend a FULL comprehensive underbody rust/corrosion inspection,there has been in the recent past peeps buying these vehicles for £6000/5000/4000 and they turned out to be a bucket FULL of costly rust.

Good Luck
#-o #-o

Excellent advice. :D

P.S. look at the MOT history here too.
https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
2nd that. I've been counselling this for a few years now (though gently at first!). Its quite likely (especially if its been in the UK a while)) the old diesel in particular will have had some corrosion, which is fine as long as its been dealt with. But it needs someone who knows where to look in order to be certain. Some of the more obvious areas may act as an indicator though. Any indication of rust whatsoever on the rear wheel arches means there's likely to be some elsewhere also. The crossmember underneath (and supporting) the radiator is another very prone and obvious area. The cills (especially around the rear heater area but also in other places where cross member join with inner cills, also the cill ends inside both front arches, hidden by arch liners, and rear arches) is another area. And rear cross member up underneath the rear bumper and the inner rear arches (especially where hidden behind the rear exhaust silencer heat shield) are other areas for inspection and prodding with a screwdriver. Check also for any corrosion on the metal coolant pipes around the rear heater and also metal coolant pipes in the engine bay (there's a tee piece that goes into the block that can rust). Campers Scotland will undoubtedly have a local garage they use and that has a lift and should have no objection to it being raised on that so you or a knowledgeable friend can have a thorough look underneath. And then, there's the engine to consider. Does the diesel have a low coolant alarm fitted? As a hire vehicle, it really should, as overheats on the diesel are bad news for the head. I love my diesel though, despite it needing a new head after 8 years ownership and that cost me £1300 to get fixed.
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Jeepers... I better make a list of all this before I head back to see it... I've maybe underestimated how much this is actually going to cost #-o So much to think about, but taking a couple of folk with me so if I forget something at least there's someone else there to keep me right this time instead of going in totally blind! They were very good at showing me around the last time I was there tho so I think they'd be fine with wanting to see it up on a ramp.

I'll start making my list of stuff tonight - thanks for all the hints of stuff to look out for!
#sayhellotomylittlefriendee
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:20 pm

tootsmcfruits wrote:Jeepers... I better make a list of all this before I head back to see it... I've maybe underestimated how much this is actually going to cost #-o So much to think about, but taking a couple of folk with me so if I forget something at least there's someone else there to keep me right this time instead of going in totally blind! They were very good at showing me around the last time I was there tho so I think they'd be fine with wanting to see it up on a ramp.

I'll start making my list of stuff tonight - thanks for all the hints of stuff to look out for!
There's not much middle ground with Bongos (and other similar vehicles, to be fair). It is either a great experience, or an unpleasant one. You're trying to buy a decent campervan and all round MPV for rather less than a VW of similar vintage offering less in the way of performance and extras. But the design was not intended to be 21 years old and running on salted UK roads so one has to be realistic. But if you go in with the right expectations, then you should find the Bongo is second to none for all round versatility / capability and is fun and easy to drive, and very comfortable (and powerful, with the diesel) on the open roads that a campervan is generally bought to be on. You have to be prepared though for an ownership experience a bit like having a pet: it may be fundamentally reliable and a lot of fun, but when it needs attention, you don't really want to just scrap it as you might an old car. So taking time to know all about Bongos, and having a realistic budget, and not rushing to buy, are key considerations. If you aren't enjoying the researching and searching, I think you are less likely to end up being happy owning a Bongo. At present, there is a real risk of buying a Bongo that presents well / looks smart, then finding it has major hidden issues. Campers Scotland should/will know that and not mind you asking to do a close inspection. I love my old 95 Bongo more than any car I've owned. I must have spent £2k on welding / respray / mending work and will spend more, £1300 on the head/rad/water pump etc and more on other normal replacment items. But it cost me £3700 and I've had it over 10 years now. Its never let me down and would probably sell for the same I paid for it (maybe more the way prices are moving as its a tidy one). Some of us just love these cars to bits as an absolute classic and a pleasure to own and drive (which is why Bongo networks are flourishing). And I don't even camp in mine much these days!

Ye Gods, I'm only 3 posts off 21,000 posts. That tells you I love Bongos :-)
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Thanks Mike, I've made a list of what you've said. Very helpful indeed and you obviously (21,000 posts in!) know you're stuff! :D
I know that buying an older vehicle can be a bit of a gamble but I was hoping since it comes with a 12 month warranty at least I'd be covered for the first year for the more major stuff. Very excited, if also slightly nervous, about the whole experience to be honest and have read so many good things about them and really feel the love for them on the forums! I'll definitely ask if I can inspect the underside.
I was just a bit concerned as I'm not mechanically minded, but knowing there's a garage that deals with Bongo's in my area makes me feel a bit more comfortable, and also that I'd be willing to learn more about them (even tho I don't know where to start, but realise I can get plenty of advice on here!) to keep it on the road as it's a big investment for me.
I really appreciate all the advice on here - it's been a pretty great help for researching and looking at things I hadn't thought of!
#sayhellotomylittlefriendee
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:23 am

rita wrote:
winchman wrote:Good advice and keep it topped up every few years
Don't understand this.
Think hes referring to waxoyl Rita

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:37 am

tootsmcfruits wrote:So I'm new to all this bongoing (and to Bongo Fury! Hello to all!) and still on the search to find the perfect Bongo for me - which appears to be quite difficult from Aberdeen. :shock:

The easiest bet for me appears to be getting something from a dealer and have come across 2 I like the look of at Campers Scotland. I can't afford a lot so was looking at possibly getting one of their cheaper models with a side conversion in it, but was looking for some thoughts on the matter not knowing any Bongo owners personally, and it's always good to hear other peoples opinions on things!

The first is a 1996 2.5 Turbo Diesel 4WD AFT sitting at 97,000 miles (ex hire vehicle) which I've seen, and it looks in pretty good condition, no visible rust (although I'm going to look again to make sure!).

And the other other is a 2001 2.0 petrol tin top sitting at 63,000 miles which I can't see yet as it will be imported in February.

Both are undersealed and come with 12 months warranty.

My question is - out of the two which one would you be more inclined to buy (obviously all being well with MOTs etc)?

I know that the petrol Bongo's can be a bit gutsy on the fuel in town, but I'd reckon I'd be more likely to have it on the open road (it's not for commuting), but hear that they lack a bit of power, and I wonder if sticking in a side conversion would make it too heavy to get up a hill? I know there'll only be two of us in the van but don't know what kind of speeds we're talking about getting up a hill somewhere.

And the diesel is a bit older and obviously has more mileage to contend with. I don't have any mechanical knowledge (although I believe there's a good Bongo garage here in Aberdeen), but don't want to be spending a lot of money on it if I can help it either. It has more space to manoeuvre with the AFT tho.

I'd just like to know, which would be your personal choice and your positives and negatives towards them both? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! [-o< [-o<
Yes but be aware that the two bench seats that are removed weigh a ton (needs two to carry them out) and the side conversion will probably be made of lightweight panels,ie foam in the middle

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:55 am

Bongoplod wrote:
rita wrote:
winchman wrote:Good advice and keep it topped up every few years
Don't understand this.
Think hes referring to waxoyl Rita

Brian
Or the fuel tank. :lol:
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:32 pm

No one's mentioned the diesel being 4WD yet so here goes...
If you don’t need it then it's a slight disadvantage - if a tyre goes pop you have to replace it with a similarly sized one which might be tricky (but by no means impossible ) if the rest are part worn.
However and having owned both a 2WD and 4WD Bongo I found the 2WD to be pretty poor on slippery surfaces (grassy hillsides and the like ) where as the 4WD is fantastic and will embarras many other 4x4's out there

Return to “Bongo Chat”