Which one would you choose?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Which one would you choose?

Post by tootsmcfruits » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:00 pm

So I'm new to all this bongoing (and to Bongo Fury! Hello to all!) and still on the search to find the perfect Bongo for me - which appears to be quite difficult from Aberdeen. :shock:

The easiest bet for me appears to be getting something from a dealer and have come across 2 I like the look of at Campers Scotland. I can't afford a lot so was looking at possibly getting one of their cheaper models with a side conversion in it, but was looking for some thoughts on the matter not knowing any Bongo owners personally, and it's always good to hear other peoples opinions on things!

The first is a 1996 2.5 Turbo Diesel 4WD AFT sitting at 97,000 miles (ex hire vehicle) which I've seen, and it looks in pretty good condition, no visible rust (although I'm going to look again to make sure!).

And the other other is a 2001 2.0 petrol tin top sitting at 63,000 miles which I can't see yet as it will be imported in February.

Both are undersealed and come with 12 months warranty.

My question is - out of the two which one would you be more inclined to buy (obviously all being well with MOTs etc)?

I know that the petrol Bongo's can be a bit gutsy on the fuel in town, but I'd reckon I'd be more likely to have it on the open road (it's not for commuting), but hear that they lack a bit of power, and I wonder if sticking in a side conversion would make it too heavy to get up a hill? I know there'll only be two of us in the van but don't know what kind of speeds we're talking about getting up a hill somewhere.

And the diesel is a bit older and obviously has more mileage to contend with. I don't have any mechanical knowledge (although I believe there's a good Bongo garage here in Aberdeen), but don't want to be spending a lot of money on it if I can help it either. It has more space to manoeuvre with the AFT tho.

I'd just like to know, which would be your personal choice and your positives and negatives towards them both? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! [-o< [-o<
#sayhellotomylittlefriendee
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Which one would you choose?

Post by Bob » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi, and ewlcome to BF. :D

Difficult one, that. :?

If all else was the same I'd go for the newer one. Not least the 2 ltr petrol is self bleeding so that makes things a bit easier.

But we have the 2.5 diesel and after more than 9 years I'm still very pleased woth it. We do pull a caravan, though, and the AFT is invaluable when camping in just the Bongo.

The mileage on that diesel is not significant so I wouldn't worry there, and Campers Scotland are well thought of.

So I haven't been much help really. 8)
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Haha! Thanks Bob! At least it's not just me and I'm glad someone else can see why I'm having such a bother making a decision. :lol: It's a shame they don't have the petrol one in at the moment so I can test drive them both and see which I prefer. How old is your diesel? Do you have to spend quite a bit on it to keep it going? And self-bleeding - is that to do with the coolant system? I'm still trying to get my head around everything so sorry for all the questions!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:36 pm

No probs.

Mine's a '96 AFT, bought 'On the boat' from Phil, JAL, near Worcester.

We've had almost no trouble with it at all, serviced in accordance with schedule and we had the rear arches tidied up a couple of years ago.

Its important to remember there is very little depreciation now so even if a bit of cash is needed its likely less that losses on something newer.

Yes, its the cooling system that is self bleeding on the 2ltr, just makes coolant change or hose replacement easier, but, as Geoff has pointed out, it still has the same number of hoses etc. Have a look at the 3 videos on bleeding the diesel/V6, Google will turn them up. Note this procedure is vital after any coolant loss, lot of horror stories begin with something like, "I know it should have been bled...".

Don't worry about asking questions, we'll try and help.
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:59 pm

I had the exact same dilemma when choosing my bongo. I opted for the 2Ltr in the end as it was LPG converted (and the van was very tidy and had a conversion in it already).

It's not the most powerful beast, but it has gone up steep hills way better than I ever expected. I never had a chance to drive a diesel version so don't have any comparison to make.

Personally I would say the diesel would be best as it has the AFT and as you live in Scotland you may want more power for those hills.

----

Bob, I had no idea the 2ltr was self-bleeding! I'll have to have a read up on what entails exactly.
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Well I was going to pop down again this weekend to have another look at the diesel and get a test drive and then hopefully I'll know a bit more - and I'll read up about the bleeding and the coolant in the meantime as well! Thanks again for the info Bob, it's really helpful having some things to look out for or bear in mind when looking at them!

And Yan - fair point about being in the hills in Scotland, Aberdeen isn't the most mountainous region but I'd be planning heading over the middle and to the west coast a lot so it's something for me to keep in mind.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:14 pm

You dont mention price so with that in mind I would go for the diesel too for the reasons mentioned. As an ex hire wagon it should have been well looked after ( you dont want the profit from a rental disappearing because of breakdowns!) is it the same company selling that rented it out?
If yes would they rent it to you for a couple of days before purchasing?
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:34 am

Hi

If you're wanting to camp with it I would have said the AFT was your best bet. A tin top with a side conversion might be a bit of a squeeze as I think the beds are around the same width as a standard single.

Campers Scotland are great, we bought our unconverted 97 diesel AFT from them 5 years ago and it's still doing us proud.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:18 am

Bongolia wrote:You dont mention price so with that in mind I would go for the diesel too for the reasons mentioned. As an ex hire wagon it should have been well looked after ( you dont want the profit from a rental disappearing because of breakdowns!) is it the same company selling that rented it out?
If yes would they rent it to you for a couple of days before purchasing?
The diesel is £5495 and the petrol is £5995 so there's not really much in it. I was thinking that about the diesel one being well looked after though and probably regularly serviced where the petrol one is more of an unknown I suppose, although they are meant to be very thorough with the imports they pick. And the issue with renting is by car it's at least 2 hours 45 minutes away, and I don't have a car to be getting me there and back all the time (currently borrowing a friend's to get me down there!), but it might be worthwhile if I can figure out the public transport down there and if they'll allow me to do it.

That's good to hear Sara, nice to hear good reports about them as I don't know anyone that's dealt with them before.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:57 am

I am currently selling my diesel Bongo, in the five years I have owned it its been fantastic, personally I would buy the diesel.
The price I feel is a bit steep as loads about for £2000 less so have a good look around
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:21 pm

Whatever vehicle you decide to go for I would Strongly recommend a FULL comprehensive underbody rust/corrosion inspection,there has been in the recent past peeps buying these vehicles for £6000/5000/4000 and they turned out to be a bucket FULL of costly rust.

Good Luck
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:25 pm

Good advice and keep it topped up every few years
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:33 pm

rita wrote:Whatever vehicle you decide to go for I would Strongly recommend a FULL comprehensive underbody rust/corrosion inspection,there has been in the recent past peeps buying these vehicles for £6000/5000/4000 and they turned out to be a bucket FULL of costly rust.

Good Luck
#-o #-o

Excellent advice. :D

P.S. look at the MOT history here too.
https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:54 pm

winchman wrote:Good advice and keep it topped up every few years
Don't understand this.
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks for all the hints and tips. I'll definitely take them on board when I go down again at the weekend.

Winchman - randomly I seem to be struggling to find prices that low, but then I'm limiting myself to travel 100 miles to look for one at the moment, and there does appear to be more choice down south. Might need to broaden where I'm willing to travel to see them!

Return to “Bongo Chat”