ATF Leak 200 miles from home!!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tertiary
Bongolier

Re: ATF Leak 200 miles from home!!

Post by Tertiary » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:05 pm

Premier Bongo's in Swindon have a good reputation, I understand...

Station Industrial Estate
Sheppard Street
Swindon
SN1 5DE

Strangely enough, they're round by the train station! :lol:

They are a gentle meander down the A420 for you - 30 mins and you're there, they're also on the way home for you too 8)
Paul

Today is a good day - tomorrow will be better
peeky1323
Bongonaut

Post by peeky1323 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:30 pm

Well i got home. Bit of rubber tube I slit open wrapped around corroded bit and then many cable ties slowed enough to top up a few times.

The local garage to me is good and if i ask if they need to go near the coolant in any way they will tell me. If try so I will limp the hour to allens.

Thanks for all your help everyone. Bit of a brown trouser moment kind of drive home!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:57 pm

Well done. [-o<
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:27 pm

peeky1323 wrote:Well i got home. Bit of rubber tube I slit open wrapped around corroded bit and then many cable ties slowed enough to top up a few times.

The local garage to me is good and if i ask if they need to go near the coolant in any way they will tell me. If try so I will limp the hour to allens.

Thanks for all your help everyone. Bit of a brown trouser moment kind of drive home!
Excellent - thought you could. Should hopefully be cheap and simple for garage to do a repair. And get your recovery insurance renewed ASAP!
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:21 am

57 years of riding / driving and I have never once had to call for help / rescue .. always sorted issues out and got home under my own steam ..!!

A month after having a triple by pass and with a motor bike in the back of my Estima I had a blow out just as I was about to get on the motorway .. all I had was a skinny spare wheel and a Toyota scissor jack / wheel wrench ..

I changed the wheel myself and on my way in less than half an hour .. my daughter said later .. You are a member .. why didn't you get the RAC out ??

Never gave them a thought .. and I only did what they would have done anyway ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:48 am

mikeWalsall wrote:57 years of riding / driving and I have never once had to call for help / rescue .. always sorted issues out and got home under my own steam ..!!

A month after having a triple by pass and with a motor bike in the back of my Estima I had a blow out just as I was about to get on the motorway .. all I had was a skinny spare wheel and a Toyota scissor jack / wheel wrench ..

I changed the wheel myself and on my way in less than half an hour .. my daughter said later .. You are a member .. why didn't you get the RAC out ??

Never gave them a thought .. and I only did what they would have done anyway ..!!
Same here, except for the time i ran out of petrol on the motorway - had no real choice on that occasion and entirely my own fault #-o :oops:
peeky1323
Bongonaut

Post by peeky1323 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:31 am

only time I have used my recovery was last year. My other car is a 1974 VW Beetle (boy i know how to pick em) and at 11pm in Michaelwood services it wouldn't start after stopping for a coffee, troubleshooted it be the coil. That was about the only part I didn't carry as a spare for the air cooled engine. You can fix most thing on that engine with a screw driver and pair of pliers. Old style distributor, rotor arm and points, makes life easy to patch up. That's the only time the beetle has let me down though.

Return to “Techie Stuff”