ATF Leak 200 miles from home!!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

peeky1323
Bongonaut

ATF Leak 200 miles from home!!

Post by peeky1323 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have just driven from Devon to Oxford to work for a couple of days and when I went out to lunch just now I see a pool of fluid stretching from midway to the rea of the van. Also some blown up the sides a bit. It's coming from the Auto box pipework somewhere. Problem is since chugging down the motorway has blown the leaking fluid everywhere I can't really see where. I checked the level with the engine off and it was on the "L".

Question: Shall I just buy some Dexroc3 and top it up and limp home, or call recovery now? If top up in the answer do you know how much fluid is needed to take from Low to Full?

Thanks,

Matt
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: ATF Leak 200 miles from home!!

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:03 pm

It's likely to be the pipe(s) running from the box to the cooler (the ATF cooler is part of the main cooling rad, the bottom bit). Just behind the driver's door is the most common place, there are two steel pipes with a 90 degree bend going into the box, that's where they corrode.

Run the engine and have a look underneath, you should see it dripping.

Recovery job - driven wheels off the ground too so if you're 4WD, on a flatbed.
peeky1323
Bongonaut

Post by peeky1323 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:37 pm

Bugger!

I can see where the leak is now I have cleaned it up a bit.... I will never wear this 3 piece suit again!...... It's the thin'ish metal pipe on top right under the body. looks like someone has done a bodge job on it before. There is a small piece of rubber tube about an inch long.... that's where it's leaking.

My recovery company will not recovery me I have just found out, cars only. I might have to buy some fluid and limp home.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:44 pm

I'd challenge your recovery company on that one, even if you're a Motor Caravan on the V5, it's still PLG for the taxation class and the same as any other space bus.
peeky1323
Bongonaut

Post by peeky1323 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:54 pm

anyone know a bongo friendly Garage in West Oxfordshire? Even if I get recovered i have to figure out where to recover it too as home is an hour away from my Bongo guy (Allens)

There is a limit of 2 tonnes in weight so I will challenge it unless it weighs more than that?
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:59 pm

Probably 321-Away (RG7 1JN) in Berkshire is your best option, or Discount Trucks in Newbury (RG20 9SP)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:00 pm

Muzorewa wrote:I'd challenge your recovery company on that one, even if you're a Motor Caravan on the V5, it's still PLG for the taxation class and the same as any other space bus.
Absolutely. A Bongo is a car, just like a Galaxy or similar, for the purposes of this exercise. If the recovery company try to insist it is not, make it clear that Bongos have been recovered many times before by road recovery companies using flatbed trucks and if they wish to be the exception you'll be happy to let that be known on some of the most widely read and supported car forums (BF, Facebook), the potential lost revenue from which will probably greatly exceed the penny pinching savings they are attempting to effect by short changing on their service offer. But first, just check they haven't misunderstood - they may think yours is a large van sized motorhome. #-o

P.S. As far as i am aware a Bongo is no more than 2 tons in weight.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:07 pm

My other thought is whether the pipe could be temporarily sleeved or bandaged much as it seems to have been already. With an ATF top up you may be able to drive it to Allen's. Its not like the coolant pipe, where the system could need bkeeding. And being viscous ATF it may be easier to stem a leak. When getting the pipe repaired, get Allans view on whether the coolant metal pipe might also benefit from repair/reinforcing, as it may have corrosion also.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:22 pm

Jillygumbo uses someone in/near Swindon.

Bear in mind the risk of messing with the cooling system. :?
peeky1323
Bongonaut

Post by peeky1323 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:24 pm

so the ATF fluid is part of the cooling system? this is definitely red atf.

I am a complete muppet.... my recovery has expired.....
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:40 pm

peeky1323 wrote:so the ATF fluid is part of the cooling system? this is definitely red atf.

I am a complete muppet.... my recovery has expired.....
Don't think that leak (and stopping it) will involve the engine coolant system.

Failure to renew recovery is not a Bongo specific fault #-o

Makes me think a bandage repair and ATF top up could be worth serious consideration :roll:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:49 pm

Whilst the ATF is not part of the main cooling system the pipes do go into the main rad, your leak will not effect engine cooling.

BUT: Be certain the garage don't mess with the main system and not bleed. A Bongo Savvy garage will be worth it. :wink:
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:03 pm

My Toyota Estima is a similar mid engine to the Bongo ..

The fluid cooler pipes go from the radiator to the gear box and on mine the two pipes (flow and return) where about five foot long and they corroded pumping out Dexron3 ATF ..

I changed mine for new .. It was a bugga of a job threading 5 foot steel pipes from the bottom of the rad. to the gearbox ..

To be honest if I was doing the job again .. I would simply cut out the corroded steel pipe .. and 'splice' some heat / oil proof 'rubber hydraulic' tight fitting pipe into the missing bits and secure with jubilee clips ..

Also remember after you have topped up with Dexron3 (down the dip stick tube) .. you check the fluid level with the hand brake hard on .. gear lever in 'P' and with the engine running ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:53 pm

If you are near a decent motor factors you can buy a roll of amalgam tape this sets up well and is resistant to pressure too. Clean as well as you can before wrapping it round. Useful to keep in the bits box on board as it can be used to fix split rad hoses and the like as a get you home.
Good luck

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... pe-19mmx5m
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Bongolia wrote:If you are near a decent motor factors you can buy a roll of amalgam tape this sets up well and is resistant to pressure too. Clean as well as you can before wrapping it round. Useful to keep in the bits box on board as it can be used to fix split rad hoses and the like as a get you home.
Good luck

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... pe-19mmx5m
Exactly what i was thinking. I keep some in tbe car at all times. Well cleaned and taped, with several cable ties around it maybe for good measure, i'd hope it would allow you to at least get home. Stop and check at intervals on a long drive.

Return to “Techie Stuff”