Cubby hole mod

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

winchman
Supreme Being

Re: Cubby hole mod

Post by winchman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:48 pm

Well Helen I have finally ordered my camera and screen so watch this space for how I make my pod
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:35 am

Hi
Winchman...
What cam did you get, ?...I couldn't find what I wanted in the UK, so I had to order from America...strange, as I would have thought there would be more helmet cams out there, but in reality, there aren't many adjustable ones on the market, and instead of fixed-focus , I got a zoom with adjustments for wide-angle...and the mount is pretty good.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:48 am

I got this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-IR-Reversi ... OU:GB:1120
Hoping to mount the camera under the spoiler and the screen, I will try and make a pod like yours or put it in the cubby hole
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:19 am

Hi
Winchman...
The only problems with screens permanently mounted is that some scroat will break in to nick anything that's worth more than a quid....I am lucky , I use another car where possible....one avenue worth pursuing is to use the hingeing facility and fold it rearwards up into the cubby, and blank the top piece of the cubby with something decorative, so that it hides the hinge and folded screen!...
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:23 pm

That's just what I do for my radio / monitor screen for the rear camera, piano hinge screwed to the top of the cubby hole, fixed to the mounting bracket for the display, and a simple leg that swivels down to lock the screen in the down position by resting on the bottom of the cubby hole frame.

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks that gives me an idea should my overhead pod fail
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:59 pm

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi
Winchman...
Errr...if you already have a rear cam, why do you need a second one?....curious?
I have a forward cam for overtaking...that's why the console...the rear cam (reversing) is the actual mirror (rearview) itself....when you reverse, it automatically changes to a widescreen monitor...I got it off e-bay, and sent to BF member Colin who forwarded it to me ...Longest relay yet =D> =D> =D> ...I may fit a 3rd screen for a foot-operated rear cam!...footswitch already in place!...
Cheers
Helen
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:55 pm

I have no rear camera.
I want to ceiling mount the screen like yours or if I cant hide it in the cubby
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:44 am

Hi
You're welcome to the mould if you want it...It's a bit tatty, and I can't remember if I moulded inside or outside...there will be a fair bit of finishing to the moulded article, but the basic shape is there....I merely made the shape out of scraps of polystyrene packing sheets, plastered over with Rottband plaster, and smoothed it of, giving a couple of coats of gloss paint when dry....and waxed with release wax...easy job, and probably best made to your screen size....I can detail sizes and more photos if you want
Cheers
Helen
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:04 am

Thanks for the offer Helen.
I did some very rough measurements last night and I think I will have to do a slightly different design to accommodate my screen.
I will know more once it turns up.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:55 pm

Cameras on, roof consoles made its rough but it works. I have a 7" screen mounted above the rear view mirror
Cameras excellent, I still use the rear view mirror for reversing in general but parking's much easier with the camera as I can easily see the rear bumper position even it the pitch black as it has infra red leds
I will take a few pictures in the day light, once I am 100% happy I will make another better quality console

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”