Cubby hole mod

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

camperman160
Apprentice Bongonaut

Cubby hole mod

Post by camperman160 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Just been messing about trying to make room for a couple of clocks and switches in the Bongo. Decided to make use of cubby hole below dash.
Switches for various lights, two dsiplays for battery voltage, one each for S/B & L/B, and a time clock. Not sure of how the layout works yet, may move switches for single run across the top with clock below.
Need to work out wiring, using nine way block for easy connection/disconnection. Need to line everything up a bit better.
Will post another picture when fully working.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Re: Cubby hole mod

Post by ELZE » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Quite nice. I was planning something like this myself and had already ourchased the switches.

Well done!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Like it! =D>
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:00 pm

Very neat. Got some ideas along similar lines. How have you fixed the panel in place?
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:56 pm

yum yum
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:04 pm

Nice job, there's a post here that may also be of help. Includes links to templates

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... te#p500790
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:01 am

Hi
I did mine some years back (in suede)...but it now reminds me to get some mini knurled buttons instead of the screws...panel mounting jobbies...I can't get them here!

I added a roof console for the front view camera and a couple of gauges...still not quite finished :lol:

Did I mention the time-travel attachment?

Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:19 am

I swear you're getting worse Helen :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny but I don't know what I'd do without my cubbyhole.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:38 pm

I like my hole too!
Do what you like.Like what you do.
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:38 pm

Helen

Try a computer firm for the knurled buttons, not as nice as instrument panel ones though but they often get used on computer cases
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:57 am

Hi Dobby...
Ah...yes...thanks...that's where I've seen them lately..As you say, not as good as instrument panel ones...but streets ahead of a pair of screws....Funnily enough, after 6 1/2 years since these bits were fitted, I'm getting near to finishing!... :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:07 am

Helen
Have you any more pictures of the Pod housing the monitor for the reversing camera?
Been wondering how best to do this for a long time
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi
I'll take some piccies tomorrow, but it's fixed with screws into some lightweight alloy plates bonded into the headlining...one screw behind the courtesy light so it's not visible, and the other screw into a bracket behind the TV screen. The camera for the screen is a telephoto / zoom adjustable camera with variable focus and all the bells an whistles!...The pod is made of red carbon fibre, but it was a bit gaudy, so I painted it...I still have the mould I made to form the pod! The bit where the gauges sit isn't fully laquered yet...it's walnut veneered......I ran out of patience and wanted to get the gauges in! :lol:
Oh...I should say that the TV is for a forward-view overtaking camera...the rear view mirror you see underneath is also a wide-screen TV that transforms into a screen for the rear-view rear-view cameras...I have 2 to fit...one that will switch automatically when I reverse, and another operated by a foot-switch to use as a different view for the rear vision...the wiring is already in for the footswitch!
Cheers
Helen
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:19 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi Dobby...
Ah...yes...thanks...that's where I've seen them lately..As you say, not as good as instrument panel ones...but streets ahead of a pair of screws....Funnily enough, after 6 1/2 years since these bits were fitted, I'm getting near to finishing!... :lol:
Cheers
Helen
That's not a problem Helen. After all, you have a time machine...
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:41 am

Hi
Winchman...
Some pictures of the fastenings:

The above shows a screw immediately in front of the interior light, and below the picture shows 2 screws at the top of the holder the TV screen fits into.

The whole thing isn't finished and tidied, and the interior light needs a seating gasket....BUT...Hey, it works well!!!!
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”