Rear speaker wire loom..

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

chiefster1976
Bongolier

Rear speaker wire loom..

Post by chiefster1976 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:47 pm

:? Hi all
My bongo does not have rear speakers in so am going to fit some myself.
I removed the rear drivers side panel and was hopping to see the wires already there ready to fit the speakers..... :twisted:
None in site......
So not to be out done easily i pulled the stereo out and located the four rear + & - speaker wires.
i had a wire converter plug fitted for my sony cd player.
I.e bongo original plug then new converter plug with wiring links to the stereo plug, then into the stereo..hope your still with me... :roll:

The mazda original plug colours for the rear speakers are as follows:
+ rear left= yellow with red stripe.
- rear left= solid orange.
+ rear right = green with orange stripe.
- rear right = solid white..

NOw i tried to trace these wires..from back of the stereo down to passenger footwell then disaappers under the upright trim( i removed this to follow the wire) there is a plug behing this trim but just loops back up the trim( hence no need to remove the trim in the first place).
then they move up behind the centre console and into a conduit which splits off in to two....
Now from here i have no idea where they go..Not going to attempt removing any dash parts....
1. Does anyone know where these wires can be located so i can hopefully hook up some wire to use my new speakers?
I hopping that there is a plug somewhere near the rear of the van i can ajoin to..
2. Are these colour wires actually the rear speaker wires???? :idea: .
If there is nowhere to hook up to then i think i may just cut the wires near the footwell and just run some new wire from there back to the rear of the van.....

Thanks guys....
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:53 pm

Did the very same job today on mine. I had already fitted a rear speaker behind the passengers side rear panel - I just screwed a 6 inch speaker into the grille plastic rivets.

I then stripped out the drivers side panel - NO WIRES! :shock:
I'll need to get back into it some day and rewire the offside from the stereo set..................
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:35 pm

Anyone know where i can find these wires??? :cry:
Maybe a full rewire from the stereo point is needed!!!! :twisted:
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:10 am

In my case the wires were already there on the nearside but missing from the offside :?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
etihsbog

Post by etihsbog » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:45 am

I was missing the connection for both sets of speakers, but on further inspection the wires were found loose at the botom of the panel. I can only assume the retaining clips had come loose at some time.
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:56 pm

Im going to start cutting my wires tonight....Any ideas if there is a plug in i should be looking for??? I may cut the wires as the colours i specified from behind the dash and run them back...cant really see any obvious plugs or the couloured wires im looking for!!!
quick im going to cut them.. :twisted: :evil:
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:46 pm

When i first posted this i had the off side panels off to find the wires...None there...After removing the near side panel, hey presto, two wires are visable for the speaker....
Where are the offside wires???anyone??

I have traced where i think they go after taking off near side sill plastic cover...The wires go in towards the engine bay...From there its hard to see where they go...
No sign under floor.... :cry:
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:52 pm

Did you read the second post to this thread chiefster????? :wink:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:20 pm

dandywarhol wrote:Did the very same job today on mine. I had already fitted a rear speaker behind the passengers side rear panel - I just screwed a 6 inch speaker into the grille plastic rivets.

I then stripped out the drivers side panel - NO WIRES! :shock:
I'll need to get back into it some day and rewire the offside from the stereo set..................
This one? looked on other posts..some have found it on the off side most havent...
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:11 pm

job done.... :lol: For anyones notes if you dont want to take the stereo out and trace a wire from there you can take out the passenger plastic cover just infront of the step and you will see a large plug which is clipped to the body side. It loops into the plug then goes back up into the dash....Just make sure you have a live be use of a meter or try some speaker wire into the right colours ( at the front of this thread) and attach your speaker to test....
Once you know which they are you can link up and trace your wire to the rear of the van.....Sweet... :wink:
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:26 am

So....did you find wires going back to the right rear speaker grille chiefster?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:44 pm

Hi Dandy...I traced the wires down the passenger footwell then i took the passenger step out and a combination of wires go straight throught to the engine bay. from there its all in conduit...So i thought sod it i may as well just run one from the passenger footwell....
:twisted:
Take note though mate at the drivers footwell where the wire goes under the passenger step after cutting the wires ( the REAR RIGHT speaker wires) nothing happened and i cannot figure out why...as the wire loops from back up to the dash and back down again.....

Anyway..best find the large plug under the pass side plastic cover(
do not need to remove the pass step unless you want to route it that way) cut the two wires above the plug, link them back together and add your new wire....I routed the wire under the pass foot step and opened up the engine cover to route at the hinges and then across to the rear of the van. Job done...
Just remember to test your speaker in the plug with some speaker wire to make sure its working o.k.... 8) 8)
Its an easy job....Good luck...
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:49 pm

Thanks chiefster......a couple of photos would be fine and dandy :)

I think I get your jist but everything helps. I've seen the big grommetted bunch of cables which go into the engine bay under the passenger seat - I've already wired the Eberspacher out from the engine bay to a small grommet directly under the driver's seat belt mounting and fed the wires to the heating control switch which I mounted next to the van rear heater controls.
I could tandem the speaker cable along that route............

I'm just at odds as to why there is no wire to the R/H speaker in the first place :?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:56 pm

Hi mate. Sorry but i have put together all the plastics and i did not take any pictures...
it sounds as though you have the jist of how to rig up another wire...
If you have the step out to see the conduit that runs through to the engine bay, good luck on locating the wire...Can you really be bothered?? I couldnt...Whilst you have the passenger seat cover up(if you havent run another source already)cut into the plug i previously talked about and run your wire near the hinges and under the carpet then toward the rear of the van.....Sweet... :lol:
Who knows what our japenese friends were thinking wiring up one speaker wire in the first place..... :roll: :x
Yamaha
Bongolier

Post by Yamaha » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 am

Dandy - I'm in the process of fitting my Webasto heater (at last), and have discovered a brilliant way to get cables, fuel line, etc from the nearside to the offside of the van.

Directly under where you fitted the heater is a round tubular chassis "tube" that goes under the van, and actually helps support the plastic undershield.

I found that feeding the semi-rigid fuel line, and a draw wire through, it emerged fairly easily on the offside - it's a couple of inches diameter, so room for loadsa cables - and it's all protected!

The only thing I have yet to solve is where to position the fuel pump for the heater - any tips on where you put yours would be welcome.

Really enjoying doing the job - but a bit stiff after a couple of days crawling under the Bongo. Think I'm getting a bit old for all these gymnastics!!

Mike

Return to “Techie Stuff”