Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Grahame at work
Bongolier

Re: Cooling system diagram

Post by Grahame at work » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:43 am

Hi all,

I disagree with the last few comments.

The coolant flow is OUT of the head and down the by-pass to the stat housing so the turbo flow can only go down (in the diagram) to the T in the heater flow.

Unless :-k :-k - the flow down the by-pass 'sucks' coolant through the small bore turbo pipe work :? What actually does the coolant do in the turbo system? - cool what?

I'm still working on my words for Steve.

(hope there's still room at the wall for me)

Regards Grahame
Joanie2 has had a sex change and is remaned Bert
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:50 am

Grahame at work wrote:Hi all,

I disagree with the last few comments.

The coolant flow is OUT of the head and down the by-pass to the stat housing so the turbo flow can only go down (in the diagram) to the T in the heater flow.

Unless :-k :-k - the flow down the by-pass 'sucks' coolant through the small bore turbo pipe work :? What actually does the coolant do in the turbo system? - cool what?

I'm still working on my words for Steve.

(hope there's still room at the wall for me)

Regards Grahame
plenty of room :wink:

Good point on the "what's it actually cooling in the turbo" thought.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:53 pm

it's keeping the oil supply to the turbo cooler IMO
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:39 pm

Cooling the turbo oil supply down makes absolute sense........as of direction of flow..... :-k I don't suppose its critical as long as it flows to cool the oil....... I have my blindfold at the ready....... what time is execution.....

Working on my words for Steve too........... :wink:
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:14 pm

Been talking a few readings with a laser spot digi thermometer this evening.

The coolant flow definitely goes from the "branch" pipe in the upper head DOWN to the turbo and returns into the thermostat housing upper part. The water pump then takes it back into the engine block and convection currents take it back up again to the "branch".

The coolant flow definitely goes into the heaters from the right side of the engine block and returns to the thermostat housing.

The coolant flow definitely goes out the head under the driver's seat, travels to the radiator upper tank and out to the expansion/auxilliary tank, then returns back to the bypass system in the thermostat upper housing.

When the metal pipe temperature in the upper "branch" is around 90 deg C, the lower part of the housing is still at 60. (and the radiator lower metal pipe is around 18/20)

While the system is warming up (idling for 5/7 minutes) the lower radiator pipe and the metal pipe running towards the 'stat housing lower part is still around 18/20 deg.C. Running at 2500 rpm for 5 minutes and watching the temp gauge rise to midway the radiator top pipes and tank were showing 82/84 deg and the lower radiator pipe began to heat up. I was dashing around like a blue arsed by this time - crawling below the van, checking in the engine bay, operating the throttle........................

This part is now the confusing bit - the lower radiator metal pipe was a good 12/15 deg COOLER at the radiator end than the thermostat lower housing end..........................which was 10 degrees cooler than the 'stat housing upper part. :? does this mean the direction of flow (once the 'stat opens) is FROM the 'stat to the RADIATOR :?: ............or is it just heat transfer because the engine area is hotter than the radiator :?: #-o
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:44 pm

dandywarhol wrote:Been talking a few readings with a laser spot digi thermometer this evening.

The coolant flow definitely goes from the "branch" pipe in the upper head DOWN to the turbo and returns into the thermostat housing upper part. The water pump then takes it back into the engine block and convection currents take it back up again to the "branch".

The coolant flow definitely goes into the heaters from the right side of the engine block and returns to the thermostat housing.

The coolant flow definitely goes out the head under the driver's seat, travels to the radiator upper tank and out to the expansion/auxilliary tank, then returns back to the bypass system in the thermostat upper housing.

When the metal pipe temperature in the upper "branch" is around 90 deg C, the lower part of the housing is still at 60. (and the radiator lower metal pipe is around 18/20)

While the system is warming up (idling for 5/7 minutes) the lower radiator pipe and the metal pipe running towards the 'stat housing lower part is still around 18/20 deg.C. Running at 2500 rpm for 5 minutes and watching the temp gauge rise to midway the radiator top pipes and tank were showing 82/84 deg and the lower radiator pipe began to heat up. I was dashing around like a blue arsed by this time - crawling below the van, checking in the engine bay, operating the throttle........................

This part is now the confusing bit - the lower radiator metal pipe was a good 12/15 deg COOLER at the radiator end than the thermostat lower housing end..........................which was 10 degrees cooler than the 'stat housing upper part. :? does this mean the direction of flow (once the 'stat opens) is FROM the 'stat to the RADIATOR :?: ............or is it just heat transfer because the engine area is hotter than the radiator :?: #-o
Good work their Alan..... would have love to have seen the Blue arsed dance... :lol:

Seriously....regards the radiator paragraph....I would think your heat transfer theory would be right ........ T
he only thing that has always struck me is the length of pipework from the bottom hose to the 'stat, which could cause a fair temperature drop and that coolant should flow from the radiator.....Mine has always been luke warm at the bottom hose, which suggests that the radiator is doing it's job but it is a good deal cooler than other engines I have worked on...... I do think that the Bongo system handles the temperature change when coolant is added from the radiator than other engines with a similar type cooling system.......perhaps the other radiators (heater matrices) help keep the coolant at a more even temperature......... better start walking to the wall of shame....

widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:12 pm

This is factual
I did the above themal imaging of my Bongo in August this year, using a Flir P60 thermal camera.
Images taken looking at top, offside corner of raidator from the front. (ie:inlet)
Li1 top = 70.8, bottom 58.7
Li2 left = 77.1, right 64.3
The horizontal line Li1 recorded a drop of 12.1 degrees over the length of say 125mm (70.8-58.7)
The vertical line Li2 recorded a drop of 12.8 degrees over the height of say 70mm (77.1-64.3)
End of factual stuff

Both these indicate differences of approx 12 degrees over a short distance (dont know what it was over the full rad width) suggesting that the rad/fans are doing their job efficiently.
Is Alans data saying something similar?

The quest for a diagram has developed into a study of the system - Not intentionally.
Information/text gathered so far suggests the following (to me)
1 - The top of the radiator is heated by the return flow from the engine
2 - The bottom of the radiator is heated (to a lesser degree) by the ATF heat exchanger in the bottom of the rad.
3 - The centre section of the radiator does very little and remains relatively cold under normal running conditions - until the stat opens. And even when the stat opens, it doesn't slam open, but just enough to allow a dribble into the main circuit.
Another suggestion made is that the 'cooling' system, rather than being used to lower the temperature of the engine, is actually designed to maintain the engine at an optimum temperature (which is quite high).
Steve
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:13 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:Image
This is factual
I did the above themal imaging of my Bongo in August this year, using a Flir P60 thermal camera.
Images taken looking at top, offside corner of raidator from the front. (ie:inlet)
Li1 top = 70.8, bottom 58.7
Li2 left = 77.1, right 64.3
The horizontal line Li1 recorded a drop of 12.1 degrees over the length of say 125mm (70.8-58.7)
The vertical line Li2 recorded a drop of 12.8 degrees over the height of say 70mm (77.1-64.3)
End of factual stuff

Both these indicate differences of approx 12 degrees over a short distance (dont know what it was over the full rad width) suggesting that the rad/fans are doing their job efficiently.
Is Alans data saying something similar?

The quest for a diagram has developed into a study of the system - Not intentionally.
Information/text gathered so far suggests the following (to me)
1 - The top of the radiator is heated by the return flow from the engine
2 - The bottom of the radiator is heated (to a lesser degree) by the ATF heat exchanger in the bottom of the rad.3 - The centre section of the radiator does very little and remains relatively cold under normal running conditions - until the stat opens. And even when the stat opens, it doesn't slam open, but just enough to allow a dribble into the main circuit.
Another suggestion made is that the 'cooling' system, rather than being used to lower the temperature of the engine, is actually designed to maintain the engine at an optimum temperature (which is quite high).
Clever that! keeps the autobox fluid cool in most conditions

Which is what a thermostat is really designed to do...........Jeebus, I'm starting to sound/look like TGP :shock: .
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:19 am

Clever that! keeps the autobox fluid cool in most conditions

Which is what a thermostat is really designed to do...........Jeebus, I'm starting to sound/look like TGP :shock: .
Do I detect a tad of p*ss taking here? :shock:
If the answers no, then I apologise for perhaps misreading.
I'm still learning about this Bongo stuff. I'm no self proclaimed 'guru' - just trying to gather information and learn.
Steve
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:45 am

No I wasn't taking the piss - a lot of automatic cars have the gearbox cooler in the bottom of the radiator but the bottom tank area is a lot warmer in a "conventional" system. The bongo system with the cold bottom tank will cool the autobox fluid more efficiently.

Anyway, back to the lower hose heat transfer question - I reckon it's still going to be from radiator to 'stat housing, even though the temperature comparisons say otherwise. The water pump will pull the colant through the open 'stat and into the block to convect again up to the head. So the direction flow is as we first thought - rad to 'stat IMO :D
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:38 pm

dandywarhol wrote: Anyway, back to the lower hose heat transfer question - I reckon it's still going to be from radiator to 'stat housing, even though the temperature comparisons say otherwise. The water pump will pull the colant through the open 'stat and into the block to convect again up to the head. So the direction flow is as we first thought - rad to 'stat IMO :D
I stand in favour of that concept and thinking....... :D

widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:59 pm

Mission complete.

For me, the mission to get a Cooling system diagram is as complete as I am ever going to get it.

Many thanks to all those who helped. =D> =D> =D> =D>
Last edited by widdowson2008 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:33 pm

Well done indeed !!!!!! =D>
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:41 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:Mission complete.

For me, the mission to get a Cooling system diagram is as complete as I am aver going to get it.

Excellent - always best to keep these things for yourself - are you going to sell the diagram in the club shop? :wink:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:03 pm

dandywarhol wrote:
widdowson2008 wrote:Mission complete.

For me, the mission to get a Cooling system diagram is as complete as I am aver going to get it.

Excellent - always best to keep these things for yourself - are you going to sell the diagram in the club shop? :wink:
:shock: :wink:

Nope
Freebie. Anyone who wants it, send me a pm with email address. It will be constantly updated and improved so if you want the updates, just ask. :D
Steve

Return to “Techie Stuff”