Feasibility of retrofitting passenger airbag in 95-97

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

PNWPete
Apprentice Bongonaut

Feasibility of retrofitting passenger airbag in 95-97

Post by PNWPete » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:24 am

Hi,

I have searched as much as I can without luck so it was time to finally make an account and ask the experts.

I am in Oregon, USA and am hoping to import a SGL5 Bongo sometime before the summer. They are pretty rare here (especially compared to Delicas) and obviously stand out a bit since we drive on the other side of the road. I am working with an exporter and constantly monitoring the Japanese exports.

My big issue (aside from finding vans without rust) is that my partner really would like to have an airbag in front of her. I mean, I can't fault her, but it seems to limit me to 1998+ cars (I haven't seen any 97's with airbags but it wouldn't surprise me if a few Nov or Dec models might have them). Maybe this wouldn't be such a big problem, but to legally import into the US, the vehicle must be 25+ years old. That means that it has to be manufactured by the month of import 1998. So once you factor in shipping time, I'm limited to model year 1998 but only manufactured before say June-ish. And, since I would like an AFT and 4x4, it's extremely thin pickings. I've almost given up and started bidding on Delicas.

It's probably not feasible, especially with parts availability and language barriers but does anyone have any idea how difficult it might be to retrofit a passenger side airbag?

The dashes appear to be the same but for airbag. So if I bought a dash from a 98+ and swapped it in, obviously I would need to hook the airbag up to the airbag control module, but do the modules in 97's have the capacity to have another bag hooked up? Or, if not, will a module from a 98 accept the harness from the driver's airbag in a 97? I assume whatever shock/crash sensors exist wouldn't need altering.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Peter
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Feasibility of retrofitting passenger airbag in 95-97

Post by Bob » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:18 am

Welcome aboard.

Airbags are touchy things, personally I would maybe wait a few months until mor '98s come of age or consider the Delica.
PNWPete
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PNWPete » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:49 am

Appreciate the thought. That's almost certainly what i'll end up doing but if it is just a dash swap and maybe a wiring harness it could be pretty well figured by any mechanic or myself (though I am not keen on futzing with the airbag part of it). Got the wiring diagrams from Ian and it looks like the 97 and 99 are very very similar for the airbag system. However, the 97 is listed as a Nov 97 and without understanding the words, looks like it might already include the second bag. The older diagram (95) appears a decent bit different at first glance.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:56 am

Hi Pete, there is still a chance that you could pick up an early vehicle with twin air bags as these were fitted as an optional extra. Your agent should be able to help you.
PNWPete
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PNWPete » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:06 pm

teenmal wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:56 am Hi Pete, there is still a chance that you could pick up an early vehicle with twin air bags as these were fitted as an optional extra. Your agent should be able to help you.
Oh really? I've yet to spot a pre-98 with pictures of a passenger airbag but I'll keep looking at those early ones.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:16 am

PNWPete wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:06 pm
teenmal wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:56 am Hi Pete, there is still a chance that you could pick up an early vehicle with twin air bags as these were fitted as an optional extra. Your agent should be able to help you.
Oh really? I've yet to spot a pre-98 with pictures of a passenger airbag but I'll keep looking at those early ones.
They actually had a LHD option also, there are a few in the Philippines.
PNWPete
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PNWPete » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:41 am

teenmal wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:16 am
PNWPete wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:06 pm
They actually had a LHD option also, there are a few in the Philippines.
I never even thought about looking for a LHD version, that would be so great. A bit of googling makes clear that it would not be nearly as easy to buy and export from the Philippines as it is from Japan though. I've yet to find an advert for an AFT LHD in Philippines either. And, I would still probably have the airbag issue necessitating a 1998. I wonder if Taiwan had many Bongos, they would be LHD too.

I might need to look for a local to help me out.

Edit: I was able to spot some AFTs listed on Facebook marketplace in Philippines but no 4x4s yet.

Return to “Techie Stuff”