AFT won't go up

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Simononsolway
Apprentice Bongonaut

AFT won't go up

Post by Simononsolway » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:46 pm

Hi all,

I have read up so much on this topic. It is clearly a common fault, but I have still not found a satisfactory answer.
My van has not been used for a few months following a wee crash which was mercifully fixed by the other driver's insurance.
However... The AFT will now not go up.
  • The handbrake warning light is illuminated
    The transmission is in 'P'
    Engine is running
    When I press the ceiling button I get a 'beeping' noise
    The 'Roof' warning light flashes
But nothing happens. I have checked the fuse and also tried bypassing the handbrake warning light switch to eliminate that, but neither of these has made any difference. I was hoping to go away for a night or two this weekend, but without the AFT it is going to be a bit of a squeeze. Hopefully one of you who has been in the same situation can try something else to try...

Thanks in advance.
Simon
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: AFT won't go up

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:46 pm

OK well your halfway thru my standard list ;-)
Make sure that;
The engine is running.
The handbrake is on and the brake light on the dash is lit ??
If the brake light isn't coming on, then check the little switch at the back of the handbrake (remove console) on passenger side they get dusty and dirty.

Now press Up the bleeping should start ??
If not then check the fuses (not likely but easy to do) http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm/ .
Else if not clean the switch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1SB0xoJOU

If they are OK and its bleeping, then check the rubber seal isn't stuck to the roof with age, run a card around to release it.
If that is OK then operate the Up then Down switch LOTS of times, it might be a dirty switch contacts or it could be corroded motors, by turning the motors even a little bit it might free up the corrosion and let you get the roof up. If so then drop out the motors at the rear and check for corrosion, there is a good Fact sheet if your a member of BongoFury on the process. Otherwise if the roof won't go up still then the is a method of lifting it but its not easy!

What ever you do please don't push on the roof itself, until the sliders are out of the locking shrouds, otherwise you stand a good chance of damaging the seal around the skylight, if the gas struts are tired and need replacing then a little assistance for the last few inches is acceptable.

Finally mechanical things NEED to be used, it causes the oil grease to spread out rather than pool and helps to reduce corrosion. Don't leave things unused for months on end....

Finally if nothing works then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaSzghJ2tE0
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”