AFT Roof Cut Off Unit Coming Off

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bluespanner
Bongolier

AFT Roof Cut Off Unit Coming Off

Post by Bluespanner » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Greetings

After selling my unconverted bongo of 12 years last year, I've now reinvested in a full side conversion. It's has a number of issues so I imagine I will be back here again soon.

Firstly the unit on the AFT ceiling that houses the switch you need to press before lowering the roof, is coming away. It appears the previous owner attached a loop around it presumably to pull it when it gets stuck, which is often. Is there a way to remove the plastic cover to get at the housing underneath to see it I can secure it back to the roof properly ?

Thanks in advance
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: AFT Roof Cut Off Unit Coming Off

Post by g8dhe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:19 pm

Pretty certain that if you take the light protector off then the fixing screws are behind the lamp.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:28 pm

Good to see you on here Buddy. :D
Bluespanner
Bongolier

Post by Bluespanner » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks for that, I shall investigate shortly to see if thats the way. I'll report back

On another note and hoping to give something back to the forum soon. On my previous Bongo I fitted an engine temperature alarm I sourced from Canada. Now fitted the same to the new one..I've taken photos of the fitting and lay out. Uses the same bolt hole on the back of the head, accessed via the inspection hatch at the rear of the centre console. Total cost in the region £65. I gave it a good outing running it for about 5yrs on the last bongo. Worked nicely. It's more integrated than the TM2 and its variants. So it means a little more effort, but doesn't looks bad when it's in.
Bluespanner
Bongolier

Post by Bluespanner » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Update on how the unit is secured to the AFT ceiling.

With the roof raised enough to gain comfortable access. Facing the front of the vehicle, as you look up you see the unit that houses the AFT ceiling light and the cut out switch for the raising roof. There's a sticker in front of the plastic casing that covers the light. Under that sticker/cover is two recessed holes, each hole has a screw/bolt that can be undone with a Philips type screwdriver. Then gently prise up the part of the plastic light cover that is closest to you. Once off 2 more screws/bolts will become visible. These both need to be undone and then the housing will come away. Be careful not to snag the wires to the light when reassembling
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”