Supreme Being

Re: VARIOUS SCAMS PLEASE BE WARNED

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:19 pm

Yep, let's keep ahead of these scum. :mrgreen:
TheHillsAreCalling
Bongonaut

Post by TheHillsAreCalling » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:46 pm

Wow! That first one has to be the one of the most evil scams I've ever heard of. Sadly I expect it's very effective. Absolutely disgraceful.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:00 am

TheHillsAreCalling wrote:Wow! That first one has to be the one of the most evil scams I've ever heard of. Sadly I expect it's very effective. Absolutely disgraceful.
Most worrying for any parent because the first thing they would think about is that child's welfare and probably would just do as instructed.

There was another one recently when some lowlife calls you up on your mobile claiming to be from HMRC. They say that there is outstanding tax payments due from last year which need to be taken care of by end of month or prosecution is imminent, however if they pay all the payments now they can offer a 10% reduction, next step you guessed it... they ask for credit card payment over the phone and the rest is history!

It is amazing how so many people get scammed this way due to busy lives juggling a few kids and a job. I have trained my family never give any information away over the phone to anyone not even the bank if they asked which they would not. I always ask for a name and telephone number so I can call them back then I check the number on internet. If anyone calls and withholds a number they do not get through.

Door knockers claiming to be anyone get the heave ho unless they were expected. when we get expected callers we always have two persons present.

I have one of those contactless card but it has never been carried or used, don't trust them.

Makes life a bit difficult sometimes but a lot safer.
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:22 am

That's how we have to be these days. :evil:
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:07 am

If that was from my daughter I'd tell her off for writing like a chav when she got home real or not
And as you know I carnt spell
But surely you'd recognise that is not from your daughter

I get the scam ones from HM tax people every month saying I've got a rebate due pls enter your bank details here
Really looks real that one even links you to the real tax site
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:10 am

Trouble is fraudsters only need to catch a few unaware, vulnerable or in a weak moment.

Making the public aware is great but I think the article could have provided more simple and better advice, especially around the child emergency fraud.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
peridot
Junior Bongonaut

Post by peridot » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:21 am

If a text message from my daughter contained more than six words I'd immediately be suspicious :)

Some of the email ones are very realistic however. The best approach is to assume everything is a scam in the first instance and then look for evidence to the contrary.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:58 am

peridot wrote:If a text message from my daughter contained more than six words I'd immediately be suspicious :)

Some of the email ones are very realistic however. The best approach is to assume everything is a scam in the first instance and then look for evidence to the contrary.
Agreed, in reality most teens struggle to put more than 6 words together anyway they have a language all of their own :lol: :lol: Greeting everything as a potential scam first hand is probably the best was which is what I do now.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:12 pm

THE FIGHT BACK.
I have lots of calls at work asking to speak to me, most are just mobile phone "advisers" or energy suppliers you know the sort of thing.
Anyway Wednesday last week we had a call from a chap claiming to be from British Gas wanting to talk to me.
Our Lady of The Desk asked what it was concerning to be told that he would only speak to me.
I took the call, he was ringing about an overdue account, I asked what property was he talking about?
He was not able to tell me the house number as it would breach BG security.
I told him that unless he could give me that detail I was not able to talk to him either.
He then said that I would have to go through security before he could disclose that information. I told him that he would have to go through security before I was able to go through security as he may be a scammer! He asked what security did I want , I said.....,. house number.
In the end it was decided the best thing was that they send the information through the post.
I have no doubt it was BG and that there is an amount outstanding but as they now send everything by email I often miss them.
Anyway he got me on an off day.
:evil: :evil:
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:05 pm

Bongolia wrote:THE FIGHT BACK.
I have lots of calls at work asking to speak to me, most are just mobile phone "advisers" or energy suppliers you know the sort of thing.
Anyway Wednesday last week we had a call from a chap claiming to be from British Gas wanting to talk to me.
Our Lady of The Desk asked what it was concerning to be told that he would only speak to me.
I took the call, he was ringing about an overdue account, I asked what property was he talking about?
I told him that unless he could give me that detail I was not able to talk to him either.
He then said that I would have to go through security before he could disclose that information. I told him that he would have to go through security before I was able to go through security as he may be a scammer! He asked what security did I want , I said.....,. house number.
In the end it was decided the best thing was that they send the information through the post.
I have no doubt it was BG and that there is an amount outstanding but as they now send everything by email I often miss them.
Cool response! funny that when you ask them to identify themselves they want to give up the ghost, and the best response to these is ask them to write to you :)
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Bongolia wrote:THE FIGHT BACK.
Ive had to do the same in the past
They ask a security question to confirm your identity hang on you phoned me i would expect the question if i phoned them.
A good listen is sometimes required.
I got a call from "microsoft" saying they had identified my windows had been hacked
well if they could see my machine " what version of windows am I running"
fudged responce, sorry mate the only windows I've got look out onto my garden, I've got a Linux box

Return to “Bongo Chat”