JAL LPG V6 Written off ..

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

JAL LPG V6 Written off ..

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:58 pm

Some may remember that I gifted my Bongo camper to a grandson a few months ago ..

Unfortunately a woman as run into the front / side of the Bongo damaging the front / chassis / suspension and the insurance have written it off ..

It's a 1998 JAL V6 LPG one previous (Bongo Fury local) owner in good rust free nick well loved / maintained (as some of the pictures I have posted should verify) ..

Just messaged me to say the insurance have come straight out with a £5500 settlement figure .. he is just wondering if he should take it ... or haggle ..??

I would have suggested he takes the cash ... and the salvage .. but he lives 200 miles away from me and I don't know if I want the hassle ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
ELZE
Supreme Being

Re: JAL LPG V6 Written off ..

Post by ELZE » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:07 pm

I could be interested in the salvage at the right price :D :D where is it located?
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:25 pm

That sounds low for such a nice motor. :mrgreen:

Best to get prices of similar Bongos for sale and go back to them.

Obviously salvage depends on the amount of damage.

And what b****y bad luck. :(
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:28 pm

I think its not bad if you get the salvage ?
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:30 pm

Depends on the damage, let's hope its not too bad, but you're right,it will be worth a fair bit. 8)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:35 pm

Ben as not taken up there offer .. I have 'advised' him to hold out for more cash .. or take the offer .. and .. the Salvage ..

I have not seen any pics of the damage .. he says it's the O/S wish bone ... I changed all the ball joints last year, I know the wishbones are relatively in expensive .. so I don't know what else as put it into a write off category ..

Ben is a life guard at a Caravan park in Hartlepool so I assume the Bongo is in a garage around there ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:40 pm

Trouble is to bust the wishbone there must be a good bit of body damage and quite possibly chassis. :?

Even a new wheel and tyre will cost insurers more than we can get one on here.
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Hi,

definitely haggle. When 'er in drawers wrote off our first Bongo they came up with a value based on the engineers report and what a "comparable" vehicle fetches on Fleabay. I pointed out to them that it was purchased from JAL and told the broker to look at their website to get some idea of what I might have to pay to get the equivalent vehicle. After some grumbling they upped their offer quite substantially and we didn't come out of the deal too badly. It was declared Cat C, and there was front chassis damage, but it was repaired and put back on the road.

Peter
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:32 am

What a bl**dy shame. Hope that lovely Bongo can be salvaged and repaired. [-o<
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:33 pm

Sorry to hear this depressing news, it was a stunner. Very good nick and you clearly put some serious work in to a high standard as well. Fortunate there was no serious injury I hope at least. Sad all round but that does indeed seem a bit low of an offer for such a well kitted out vehicle. This comparative ebay price, there are a load of rust buckets on there largely uncared for I suspect that are not in the same league as a Bongo of this calibre.

I guess insurance companies deal with data and less interested in what people paid and have done to keep their Bongos in good condition.

Return to “Bongo Chat”