Aluminium radiator?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Aluminium radiator?

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:03 pm

My 95 diesel's rad is looking a bit elderly, weeping slightly along top edge, and my regular garage has
recommended an ally radiator. Is this worth pursuing, and where would I get one?

Anyone done this?

Thanks all,

Derek
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Aluminium radiator?

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:51 pm

they are out there, over the years ive seen several and always fancied on myself, i wonder if they a custom made by one supplier as i cannot think of any other motor that has the oil cooling in the bottom. maybe the ranger is similar and you could then mount an oil cooler separate.

there is nothing wrong with the original mazda or the cheaper after market ones though, quality seems good.

try this

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... urers%20uk

try these.

http://www.autoinsider.co.uk/local/car- ... i_1464.php.

http://www.autoinsider.co.uk/local/car- ... i_1256.php
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:56 pm

We have been dealing with Aaron rads for years now they are local to us. Not found anything they cannot refurb/handle, even made from scratch an intercooler for an MG special.
Great company bit pricey but you pays yer money etc..
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:30 am

Dr Fingers wrote:My 95 diesel's rad is looking a bit elderly, weeping slightly along top edge, and my regular garage has
recommended an ally radiator. Is this worth pursuing, and where would I get one?

Anyone done this?

Thanks all,

Derek
If you mean an aluminium "Cored " radiator these are readily available from ebay ,eurocarparts, etc etc.

Or do you mean an all aluminium unit.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:04 pm

It seems that aluminium radiators are the norm nowadays, copper is but a happy memory.

i fitted a pattern radiator just over a year ago from Fastrads in South Wales. Came within a day or two and was much easier to fit than I feared and I ended up wishing that I hadn't wasted so much time and effort over the previous few years patching up the leak around the top seal of the original radiator (which turns out to be aluminium anyway). Have had no trouble with it and it should see me through all the next age related Bongo woes.

Fitting presented no problems, other than that I nearly threw away the two big steadying grommets it sits in with the old rad. All the pipes came off and went back on easily.

Obviously, follow the bleeding procedure meticulously when refilling the coolant. Every Bongo owner must know that by now!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism

Return to “Techie Stuff”