Dead AFT....

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Dead AFT....

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:02 pm

as above: done the obvious, changed fuse #12, waggled lead on back of handbrake, but absolutely nothing, no beeps, no motor noise, nothing. Engine running in Park, handbrake on. No power to the little light in the AFT either. Brake light on dash comes on when handbrake engaged, no problem there.

Only thing that has changed since AFT last used is replacement of leisure battery, but all interior lights/12v sockets etc are working as usual, and I wouldn't have thought the LB would be relevant to the AFT..(?).

Any suggestions from the 'leccy gurus on here? :D

Derek
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Dead AFT....

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:13 pm

Dr Fingers wrote:as above: done the obvious, changed fuse #12, waggled lead on back of handbrake, but absolutely nothing, no beeps, no motor noise, nothing. Engine running in Park, handbrake on. No power to the little light in the AFT either. Brake light on dash comes on when handbrake engaged, no problem there.

Only thing that has changed since AFT last used is replacement of leisure battery, but all interior lights/12v sockets etc are working as usual, and I wouldn't have thought the LB would be relevant to the AFT..(?).

Any suggestions from the 'leccy gurus on here? :D

Derek
I fear this one could be tedious, and linked to old age. Mine went dead like that and although a 2nd motor fixed it for a bit, the problem was only really solved by getting 2 new motors. And getting the roof up to do it is a pain. Adrian at Japandirect in Bury has done of lot of these roofs now and knows what to do (plus has the garage and lifting equipment). I'd suggest seeing if he might do it while you're up North (you could spend the day in Bury market, which is fun). But I'm not sure how quickly new motors can be got in. And the bill will not be small I'm afraid. But if you're in it for the long haul, the old girl is worth it and there's probably no shortcut short of overhauling the motors yourself.

I could be quite wrong, and you could get lucky, but best to flag up the worst in case etc. At least its not happened in hte middle of the camping season? [-o<

P.S. From memory, the little light in the AFT is designed not to work when the roof is down.
Last edited by mikeonb4c on Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Sound like you need the control module checked out.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:23 pm

rita wrote:Sound like you need the control module checked out.
Is that the thingy buried in the rear o/s pillar?

Thanks

Derek
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:31 pm

Yes it has two plugs, one for the motors and the other for the electronics.

However the fuse and power for the Light in the AFT is a different feed, top right fuse (permanent power) from the rest of the electronics and motors, hence I would suggest first looking at the earth connections to the AFT module;

As for both circuits to stop functioning then there is only a single ground/earth connection involved!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:10 pm

Geoff, you're a star. How do I access the module, and where would I find the earth connection? I'm a complete numpty with electrics (and mechanics!).

Many thanks

Derek
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:28 pm

Click the image above, then select the next page (Arrow at bottom to go right) this will then show you the physical locations, note the numbers of plugs etc as they are the same on both sheets, the earth points are numbered in the little circles.
When you say the AFT light doesn't have power you do realise that it automatically switches off when the roof is at the bottom, if its left on it will light again when the roof lifts up!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:34 pm

So the aft light can't be turned on when roof is down?

Derek
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:38 pm

Correct! That might mean you do have power and earth OK, but the limit switch M2-06, is stopping the light coming on, as expected.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:35 pm

Well, I'm taking the view that December is not a bad time to have the roof stuck down (not up!), and the New Year is a good time to take Ruby back to her Uncle Colin at County Cars, Portslade. I'm well out of my depth here, but I'll be sure to pass all this info on to him.

Many thanks again, and Xmas wishes to all.

Derek
Stew71
Bongonaut
Location: Portsmouth - proud home of the southernmost motorway in the UK. And some ships.

Post by Stew71 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:34 am

If I can just weigh in - I've got the same problem. I just tried to put the roof up to air it, and it's dead as a dodo.

I'm midway through an insurance claim because we were rear-ended just before Christmas. I see a reference above to a control unit in the rear OS pillar - this would be part of the aperture for the tailgate, yes? Is it possible/likely then that this might be accident-related?

Thanks

Stew
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:44 am

Yes easily the module is item numbered M2-01 on the diagram lower right, click for full size;
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Stew71
Bongonaut
Location: Portsmouth - proud home of the southernmost motorway in the UK. And some ships.

Post by Stew71 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:09 pm

Ah, OK, thankyou. I think I'll need to get it to a garage to take a look. A bit concerned in case the insurer goes for a writeoff - the bodywork has already been quoted as £700 labour + VAT + parts.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:55 pm

Forgot to say that I solved my problem. Despite the handbrake light coming on/off etc, the problem did lie in the switch on the back of the handbrake. Gave it a good spray of switch cleaner, plenty of waggle, and lo and behold, AFT back to normal..

Derek
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:21 pm

Well done.

Cheap and simple. =D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”