Baked my first ever cake....

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Baked my first ever cake....

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:34 pm

Coffee and walnut with butter cream topping/filling. Feeling well proud of myself..... it looks and smells right anyway just cooling now. I used a bit less sugar in the main mix as I am not too mad on sickly sweet.

My word I had no idea how hard work it was beating the mix up... seriously nearly
done myself an injury, lol. No electric whisker here all done by hand.

I will try it later I used this recipe and followed it to the letter so finger crossed. Will follow up later tonight with the verdict. I have to spread the butter cream on and in it.

Took me 1.5 hours to mix, wash new cake tins, weigh the ingredients, grease them, spoon it in etc :oops: It said 30mins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/coffe ... cake_87248
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: Baked my first ever cake....

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:30 pm

Nailed it, the best cake I have ever eaten.
Tertiary
Bongolier

Post by Tertiary » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:50 pm

Well done, good for you :D

It will be the cake that you will always remember, no matter how many more you bake.... :wink:

If you crack on, you've just about got time to make this years Christmas cake! :lol: :lol:
Paul

Today is a good day - tomorrow will be better
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:18 pm

I eat a great coffee cake in a place I go sometimes with a cup of coffee after a stroll around with the Mrs. and she is away at the moment and I have to amuse myself and this evenings project was the cake. :lol: I have took a bit off and froze it so she can have a bit when she comes back. I always thought one day I will make a cake so got all the stuff this week beater/whisk and ingredients.

First one I ever made and I just followed the recipe to the last gram and it turned out very good indeed. I made the caster sugar just 200g (not the 225g) and it is plenty sweet enough.

The beating was like a full on work out ! I wanted it very smoothly mixed.

This lady helped me with the technique. I suppose you could get your hands dirty and kneed it together as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_p-ppkDNL8

In fact...here is a pic...

https://anonimag.es/i/b1e5763276eb3ce5f ... acfc50.jpg

The only criticism is my oven is a bit small and one of the trays was not level so the top was a bit wonky where the mixture slid to one side of the tin. But it adds a bit of home made character. :)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:08 pm

Very satisfying, well done. :D
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks Bob, the only problem is I have get chomping... gave a mate a big lump yesterday and some to take home. I think I might have some now. I am not even that sweet toothed as a rule but am really enjoying it. There is definitely something wholesome about making your own food from scratch.

I am not generally an enthusiastic cook, I find it a chore to be completely honest but there is a type of self respect when you cook and eat well instead of eating processed rubbish out of packs all the time.

Being able to cook some basic nutritious food (like butter and sugar rich coffee cake :lol: ) is not a bad thing to have in the skill set.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:50 pm

Hi
Home-made food is the only way!...we make all our bangers, burgers, nothing artificial in...we make all pies, etc. bread, the lot...I don't eat cakes and sweets/ chocolate etc. so I can't comment there, but if you can find time , then you know what you're eating, and home-brewed alcohol is the same...all good kit!....I used to make all Tony's beer from scratch, and cider for myself (from kits, I'm ashamed to say), but we've slowly been gathering the fruit managing stuff to start again over here!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:10 pm

Can I come round your for dinner tonight ?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:30 pm

Hi
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...You're Welcome!...seriously, it all takes less time than you think...add together the time taken driving round buying small quantities regularly, and all the fuel, time parking, aggravation dealing with people, queuing behind that idiot that phaffs around at the checkout, and all the loading and unloading bags and baskets. We do it all in one hit at a cash'n'carry, and the whole deal takes little time bulk prepping after purchase...leaving more time for time-wasting :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:22 am

I think I would have to extend my recipe/cooking knowledge repertoire before I could do that. Though I am much more inclined to bung a free range roast chicken in my oven and then I have food for days. I just cannot eat this garbage from the packages (well... rarely anyway) It is bordering on disgusting most of the time. When the Mrs. is away I do find out how much she tends to do in the kitchen, I have a lot of respect for cooks.

Reminds me of this sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2FJITNSlCQ
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi
Aww....c'mon, it's the easiest thing in the world to cook....how else would all these "nincompoop" chefs get a job on TV.
Grab a pan, bung in some olive oil, and hot it up a bit (watch out that Popeye isn't looking). Bung in some meat...any old sort will do...throw plenty of chopped onion in, and as much finely chopped garlic as you can find....the more the better if you're working next day...it'll stop those ass like employees coming anywhere near you asking stupid questions !....add some meat stock, then just keep throwing interesting looking bits of food in until it starts to look good....add one or some of the following sauces depending on taste:
Worcester sauce : Sambal Oelek : Tabasco....you get the idea
Then add chillis, make sure there are spuds in it somewhere...if it's a bit thin and watery, add a tiny bit of cornstarch....cook until tender, and keep adding chilli until you reach your personal pain level
The above works every time, and beggar anyone else who doesn't like it!

Top Troughing!
Cheers
Helen
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:49 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Aww....c'mon, it's the easiest thing in the world to cook....how else would all these "nincompoop" chefs get a job on TV.
Grab a pan, bung in some olive oil, and hot it up a bit (watch out that Popeye isn't looking). Bung in some meat...any old sort will do...throw plenty of chopped onion in, and as much finely chopped garlic as you can find....the more the better if you're working next day...it'll stop those ass like employees coming anywhere near you asking stupid questions !....add some meat stock, then just keep throwing interesting looking bits of food in until it starts to look good....add one or some of the following sauces depending on taste:
Worcester sauce : Sambal Oelek : Tabasco....you get the idea
Then add chillis, make sure there are spuds in it somewhere...if it's a bit thin and watery, add a tiny bit of cornstarch....cook until tender, and keep adding chilli until you reach your personal pain level
The above works every time, and beggar anyone else who doesn't like it!

Top Troughing!
Cheers
Helen
Now that's my kind of meal. =D>
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:26 am

That does sound nice though of late I have cut back on the red meat significantly but that is another story.

Return to “Off Message”