Autoglass

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

smillingjimmyc
Bongonaut

Autoglass

Post by smillingjimmyc » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:06 pm

As said on my previous thread I had a side window smashed,hopefully that will be sorted tomorrow.However I just had the thought that if autoglass could not source my window(which they couldn't)would I have the same problem if my windscreen went or has anyone had autoglass replace one?
98 4wd
dvisor
Supreme Being

Re: Autoglass

Post by dvisor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:01 pm

I had mine replaced in 2011. I had a few problems with autoglass sourcing the correct one, and originally was going to charge over £700, which was higher than the replacement limit of £500. Eventually, after a bit of research, I discovered that there was another windscreen on their database with slightly different details. When I suggested this one, the cost came down to between £300 and £400, but even then, only after a bit of negotiation about screen tint. I forget all the details now. I posted full details to the forum with all relevant information (including product numbers) at the time, but my posting appears to have been deleted (that was a waste of time).

Looking at a scanned copy of my invoice, the code appears to be 5163AGN, but it's pretty blurred.
Two tonne tin drum
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:18 pm

Windscreens are widely available for about £200 so don't listen to anyone who says it will cost £700.
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:29 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Windscreens are widely available for about £200 so don't listen to anyone who says it will cost £700.
The point I was trying to make was that they had multiple entries on their database for (possibly) the same windscreen, and some tints were considerably higher than others. It depends who you get on the other end of the phone how much hassle it is. Maybe mine was £200, I can't remember, and the invoice only shows my excess to pay, but if you have to go with Autoglass to make the insurance easier, its better to have a little knowledge.
Two tonne tin drum
smillingjimmyc
Bongonaut

Post by smillingjimmyc » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:40 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Windscreens are widely available for about £200 so don't listen to anyone who says it will cost £700.
So are the side windows but autoglass couldn't get one,I think because they use designated supplier(s).
The story was that I rang them a week last saturday 10am(through my insurance) and was told their gateshead branch would deal with it and they couldn't order the glass till monday and it would take 24 hrs.I gave it until the wednesday and rang the gateshead depot to be told they knew nothing about the job! Another day went by until they informed me they could not get the window so I got one off ebay.
Not at all impressed by autoglass their attitude at their main office(bedford phone code) was a disgrace in my opinion hence my concern if I ever need a windscreen.
98 4wd
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:53 pm

According to the old posts on the forum, if you ask for a 'Mazda Bongo MPV' windscreen, you get the standard cheaper one. If you need one with a blue or green tint, they might have to order it in and it usually costs more.

Trading Standards Registered garage: http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:30 pm

When my previous Bongo needed a new windscreen, I took it to Bellhill Garage and they sorted it all out with the insurance company so I just paid them the £75 excess. I was able to upgrade to the version with the graduated tint at the top. They actually import windscreens and supply them to at least one of the national replacement windscreen companies.
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:27 pm

Autoglass were also unable to get us a rear driver's side window.

First they turned up with the wrong window, the fitter said he knew it was wrong but.hoped it would fit???? Then they were unable to source one, then they could but it was a ridiculous sum (can't remember exactly but we'll above the limit).

We ended up buying a window second hand from a very nice BF member and fitted it ourselves. Cost in total £35 I think plus I now have my very own set of torx key set.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
hijimhere
Tribal Elder

Post by hijimhere » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:43 pm

I had a rear screen with demister replaced last year all I paid was £80 excess -- about a year previous I had the front done which was about £280 - I have replaced my rear glass with tinted so have spares at a reasonable price and postage. I also fitted another tailgate so have the new rear screen fitted last year available - will put them on the for sale group on facebook.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:56 pm

I am extremely unhappy that my local branch appeared to have used something like a claw hammer to remove the old windscreen. After a relatively short time the damage to the surrounding paintwork became very apparent.

They also billed the insurance company for a new escutcheon without replacing the existing one. I advised the person who authorised the job but got no thanks for doing so. I meant to look and see if it had popped up on eBay.

I'm not aware of an alternative windscreen service locally, unfortunately, as I'm not keen on using these people again unless they buck their ideas up.

Had a few years of good luck but no doubt will be back there some day. Next time I will check the job and what was actually fitted before leaving.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
GreenBongo
Bongolier

Post by GreenBongo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:04 pm

A good boat yard should be able to make a replacement side window for you, if its laminated or toughened it takes a few days. I had a rear window (flat glass) made for an old coach-built Bedford CF, the price was very reasonable.

Return to “Techie Stuff”