solar panel

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

glenn.1
Junior Bongonaut

solar panel

Post by glenn.1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:02 am

Hi All
Ive just bought a solar panel that keeps the battery topped up over winter but its got a cigar lighter plug on the end… but my bongos cigar socket is dead when the ignition is off…is it possible to make it live with the ignition off, without major surgery
thanks Glenn
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: solar panel

Post by g8dhe » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:12 am

Not really! Have you worked out the likely charging current for such a panel as well, it doesn't normally make it worth while bothering with unless you can position the panel perfectly and its one of the 15 Watt ones.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:54 am

g8dhe wrote:Not really! Have you worked out the likely charging current for such a panel as well, it doesn't normally make it worth while bothering with unless you can position the panel perfectly and its one of the 15 Watt ones.
The fuse jumpers that came with my Wilinton kit have moved my ciggie lighter power over to the leisure battery, so presumably that's one route the OP could go down, since its the leisure battery they would be wanting to charge anyway? Inefficient way of doing it mind you, with resistance / connection issues associated with ciggie lighter plugs / sockets?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:13 am

Its switched by the ignition so he doesn't have a LB, is how I read it ? Otherwise yes it would be directly connected to the LB.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:44 am

g8dhe wrote:Its switched by the ignition so he doesn't have a LB, is how I read it ? Otherwise yes it would be directly connected to the LB.
Indeed. Just thinking he could kill two birds with one stone by switching it over to LB. :roll:

Return to “Techie Stuff”