Radio Aerial

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

Radio Aerial

Post by sotal » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:39 pm

I've got a lot of the more major jobs out of the way, so now on to the minor tweaks!

The radio doesn't work too well in the Bongo. I've tried two head units and with both the reception isn't great on the radio. When driving it loses signal quite a bit.

When installing the head unit, that is currently in, I noticed that it was playing the radio quite well on the drive without the aerial plugged in. As soon as I plugged the aerial in the quality dropped. It seems as though the aerial is actually making things worse.

I haven't looked at it properly yet - just listened to mp3s instead. However when I put the alarm in I did follow the aerial connection as far as I could to check for any band expanders - I couldn't find any. There is a plug in join behind fusebox - mounted on the metal bracket behind the plastic cover to the right.

So before I go tearing it apart any further - is there anything obvious to check for.

It is slightly better with the aerial raised and pulled out but not much.
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Re: Radio Aerial

Post by windywatson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:22 pm

Hi, I have a Tin Top, 2001 and reception is poor on radio. Tried a second radio, no better checked out coax and connector same as you have. Came to conclusion aerial was poor for some reason, perhaps water damage within aerial it's self. So purchased a second hand one from breakers. Checked out the coax continuity & continuity of aerial its self to centre conductor which was good & checked that there was no short between coax core & screen which there wasn't. So fitted this replacement aerial, only to find reception no better.
My next plan is to fit an aerial in centre of roof at front that has a built in amplifier in its base. Hopefully that will do the trick. incidentally the reception on my ATF roofed Bongo that uses a different aerial is perfect.

cheers

Richard.
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
zippy
Bongolier

Post by zippy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:39 pm

How long is the standard Ariel, extended?
Toyota Alphard - Bongo spirit
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:54 pm

For the standard FM band in the UK you want a length of 30.5", the standard in Japan will be slightly longer than that, but its not very critical.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
zippy
Bongolier

Post by zippy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:24 pm

sorry, what is the length extended on a bongo? Want to check mine :)
Toyota Alphard - Bongo spirit
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:33 pm

Had a quick look at the aerial today.

When you extend it all the way it falls off! Is it supposed to do that (I take it, it shouldn't!)

It looks like the original has snapped in the past and the current one just slides over the top of the old one!

Can you replace the aerial easy enough or is there an alternative type of aerial that could go on instead?

In my box of junk somewhere I have an electric aerial with motor etc - I wonder if that could be used somewhere? If the aerial itself could be used from that?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:24 pm

The original Mazda aerial consists of only two sections so the diameter is pretty small. I would expect an electric aerial would be much thicker as they tend to be made of a number of shorter sections. You can buy genuine replacement aerials but they are somewhere in the region of £35.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 pm

or you can tap a thread in the aerial base and screw in a cheapy off fleebay.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Techie Stuff”