Ticking !

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

francisvincent
Apprentice Bongonaut

Ticking !

Post by francisvincent » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:30 pm

V6 Bongo 'ticking', but can only hear it when driving close to a wall, fence, hedge on the nearside, with the passenger window open, as it sends the sound back in my direction. i.e. If windows closed I dont hear it.
The ticking is very similar to having a stone stuck in your tyre. It gets quicker as the revs and speed rise. Cant hear it when (ironically) ticking over and it doesnt do it when I slip it into neutral, even when going along.
Ive not had the seats up, but just passed MOT and asked the garage to have a look/listen. They are ether deaf or not interested.
It also happens in reverse, as this is how I get into my drive, but a usual, only with a close hedge and the nearside front window down.
It does have a Romano gas conversion, but 'ticks' if using gas or petrol..
Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks in anticipation..

Francis Vincent
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Ticking !

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:13 pm

francisvincent wrote:V6 Bongo 'ticking', but can only hear it when driving close to a wall, fence, hedge on the nearside, with the passenger window open, as it sends the sound back in my direction. i.e. If windows closed I dont hear it.
The ticking is very similar to having a stone stuck in your tyre. It gets quicker as the revs and speed rise. Cant hear it when (ironically) ticking over and it doesnt do it when I slip it into neutral, even when going along.
Ive not had the seats up, but just passed MOT and asked the garage to have a look/listen. They are ether deaf or not interested.
It also happens in reverse, as this is how I get into my drive, but a usual, only with a close hedge and the nearside front window down.
It does have a Romano gas conversion, but 'ticks' if using gas or petrol..
Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks in anticipation..

Francis Vincent
Is the frequency of the ticking linked to anything, for example engine revs or road speed? Does it happen more when engine hot than engine cold? This would help in giving suggestions as to likely cause.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Ticking !

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:47 am

Hi
Are you sure it's not tyres?...I've had the self-same thing, and checked the tyres...couldn't find any stones....double checked, and found a screw in one tyre....off to the puncture repair man!...'twas very hard to spot!
IF there is nothing, any chance of a recording?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Techie Stuff”