Tyre positions

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

al & chris
Tribal Elder

Tyre positions

Post by al & chris » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Just going to put winter tyres back on. Two have slightly more tread, should they go on the front or back. Same size tyre alround
JoeC
Bongolier

Re: Tyre positions

Post by JoeC » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Back.
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:20 pm

Forgot to say we are 4wd.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:48 pm

Front as the front wear down quicker
And will soon match the rear
Also better to have best grip on front
IMHO
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Just been looking on web and it does look like best tyres should always be on rear regardless of drive of vehicle.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:50 pm

The tyres with the most tread (grip) should always me fitted to the rear of a vehicle.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:21 pm

With 4WD you should try to keep the rolling circumferences as close to the same on all four corners so it's often recommended to swap front and rear occasionally to even out the wear and ideally replace all four tyres at the same time. This will reduce the chances of problems with the viscous coupling.

The advice these days is to have the deeper tread at the rear as others have mentioned.
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Simon Jones wrote:With 4WD you should try to keep the rolling circumferences as close to the same on all four corners so it's often recommended to swap front and rear occasionally to even out the wear and ideally replace all four tyres at the same time. This will reduce the chances of problems with the viscous coupling.

The advice these days is to have the deeper tread at the rear as others have mentioned.

Is the wear difference sufficient to cause a problem. Do you have to buy a new full set if you damage one tyre and the rest are half worn.?
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:40 pm

If the VC is in good order and doing what it should there should not be a problem, the speed that the wheels revolve " on all wheels" of a motor vehicle are very seldom the same, that's why they fit differentials with Planetary Gears. Without this system you would be fitting New tyres every Week. :D
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Not sure what the official tolerance is between difference in rolling circumference between front and rear. There may be some info in the owners manual.

What I do on my 4WD Volvo is start with a set of 4 new tyres and then keep an eye of out for a new and nearly new tyre on eBay so I've always one of each in the garage. If I need to get a new tyre when away from home, I've got a matching one available when I get back. Likewise, if I get an unrepairable puncture on a part worn tyre, I can fit a used one in its place.

At the moment, all 4 are getting low so I've got a set of winter tyres on steel rims going on and then I've got a few months to shop around for another set of new tyres for the spring. I'll then keep the best from the worn set as a backup for future use.
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:29 pm

Tyers on now best ones on front as when I checked them only 2mm between them. Hopefully will make wear even so can replace all at same time.
Idris
Bongonaut

Post by Idris » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:45 pm

al & chris wrote:Just been looking on web and it does look like best tyres should always be on rear regardless of drive of vehicle.
Whoever (origionaly) wrote this does not drive where there are corners in a 4wd or FWD vehicle, they probably don't even drive ;)

The most solid proof I ever had was doing driver training in Albertvillle - vehicles set up with different tyre situationas and different chassis stifneses - the only one that wasn't drivable with care was one with bald front tyres - one with completly bald rear tyres handled like it had a pair of castors at the rear on a we track (they wanted to fit castors but insurance wouldn't let them) but could be made to mre or less where you wanted. Bald fronts anything over walking pace and you crashed.
www.idriskis.com eco friendly skis
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:41 pm

It does seem like the advice has changed over the years. In the late 80's I worked as a tyre fitter as a summer job and the recommendation was always best tread on the front. I think the logic was that the majority of the braking load is on the front wheels and of course they determine which direction the vehicle goes in.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:47 am

Search youtube for the Fifth Gear test on tyres. It's not about grip to move forward, it's about grip to stop. You do not want to be heavy braking with a car with loads of grip at the front and none at the back, regardless of drive as that has nothing to do with it. You do an emergency manoeuvre and you'll swap ends and who knows what'll happen. The other way round, the back will stay in check, hopefully you won't loose control.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.

Return to “Techie Stuff”