loss of power

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

foskett
Apprentice Bongonaut

loss of power

Post by foskett » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:22 pm

after buying and enjoying a bongo talked my first daughter into getting one great......talked 2nd daughter into getting one... it's now completely lost power done the last 10 miles @ 10 m.p.h put foot down and NO POWER at all my mechanic is pulling his hair out. this is a diesel 2 ltr w reg 2000 garage puts the machine on fix's the problems that come up STILL NO POWERts any IDEAS all welcome thanks [-o<
the laird
Supreme Being

Re: loss of power

Post by the laird » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:32 pm

Check the banjo filter it's a small filter/screen that is inside one of the pipe banjo bolt at the pump.also if this lack of power is evident try taking the filler cap off a see if you hear a thump or hiss it may be a blocked breather ,drive it with the cap off but put a cloth or likes to stop any fuel spillage ,hold it on with an elastic band.start with these two tries first ,fingers crossed n guid luck
Idris
Bongonaut

Post by Idris » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:05 pm

the laird wrote:Check the banjo filter it's a small filter/screen that is inside one of the pipe banjo bolt at the pump.also if this lack of power is evident try taking the filler cap off a see if you hear a thump or hiss it may be a blocked breather ,drive it with the cap off but put a cloth or likes to stop any fuel spillage ,hold it on with an elastic band.start with these two tries first ,fingers crossed n guid luck
Further alng in the same vain - regular fuel filter and if the fuel lines look perished, change all the rubber hoses - in tank filter/strainer is another ususal supect.
www.idriskis.com eco friendly skis
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:09 pm

Banjo bolt is on the pipe into the filer head from the tank .previously I sais at pump I boo boo mistook :oops:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:38 pm

foskett wrote: this is a diesel 2 ltr w reg 2000...
It'll be a 2.5 diesel (or there's a bit missing :) ). That vintage uses a 'drive by wire' system (different injector pump) and a variable vane turbo which uses engine vacuum to control the boost. These can be more problematic than earlier engines but if there is a fault there should be a flashing light on the dashboard.

Check all the hoses and connections especially the vacuum hoses and solenoids.

Return to “Techie Stuff”