Moving the Roof Lock Cancel switch

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bob uk
Bongonaut

Moving the Roof Lock Cancel switch

Post by bob uk » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:59 am

Hi All
I’m in the process of doing the modification to my bongo roof were you turn the inner round the other way to make it easier to get up and down and would like to move the Roof Lock Cancel switch to a more convenient place so I don’t have to reach up into the roof to close it
I have done a search on the net on how to do this but can’t find any information so was hoping for some help
Thanks Bob
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Moving the Roof Lock Cancel switch

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:14 am

This is on my to do list as well. We've got the later style roof which goes up about 6 inches higher so it's quite a stretch to access the switch especially when the van is all packed up. My plan is to wire a switch in parallel which will be fitted next to the main open close switch. In terms of wiring, there are a couple of options including splicing in to the existing wiring where it passed thru the roof at the rear by the hinges, or going direct to the AFT control box.

Another option is to get a simple remote control kit and fitting the receiver up by the existing switch and taking the power from the light in the roof. Something like this would probably be ok: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/quasar-single ... -kit-l26bk
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:05 am

It would be worth remembering that one of the reasons why this switch is fitted in the original position is for Safety reasons (Ie out of reach of tiny fingers and the need to see what or who is in the Roof space)before you press the button.

You would not like someone or something to be squashed by mistake.

[-o<
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Ive also been thinking of doing this, not looked at a wiring diagram yet but couldnt you just leave the switch wiring shorted out so as to simulate the switch being held down all the time ?
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:21 pm

If you recall, when you press the button, it starts beeping for a while and when it stops, the button has to be pressed again to re-activate it.
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:26 pm

But if you join the 2 wires at the switch wont it be like the switch button being held down constantly ?
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:34 pm

Dunno. One way to find out :)
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:26 pm

Rather than going into the wiring, maybe just tape the switch so it's in the on position all the time to see what happens.

However, the problem here, or with altering the wiring so it's on all the time is you don't quite know what is happening. You may be drawing current all the time for example.
bob uk
Bongonaut

Post by bob uk » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:02 pm

Hi All
Thanks for the replies
I’m not bothered about losing the safety aspect of the switch as there are only going to be 2 of us in the van and if I accidently lose the wife in the roof I’m sure she will let me know
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the roof controls and the location of the ATF control box?
Ideally I would like to fit another switch down by the handbrake or somewhere like that
Also I like the idea of the remote if the wiring is too complex that might be an easy option
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:51 pm

Motor control unit is on the drivers side behind the rearmost panel. Drawing number 67-7LO

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... 03.html#10

This is what it looks like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-Bongo-R ... 3a987ef1c9
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:44 am

rita wrote:It would be worth remembering that one of the reasons why this switch is fitted in the original position is for Safety reasons (Ie out of reach of tiny fingers and the need to see what or who is in the Roof space)before you press the button.

You would not like someone or something to be squashed by mistake.

[-o<

It would be worth noting that you would probably Need to inform your Insurance Company that you have Modified / Removed a safety feature (Interlock) I am pretty sure that they will Cancel/Void the policy.

Good Luck...
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:19 pm

Wiring diagrams and also the electronics by clicking the Orange box;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:42 pm

rita wrote: It would be worth noting that you would probably Need to inform your Insurance Company that you have Modified / Removed a safety feature (Interlock) I am pretty sure that they will Cancel/Void the policy.

Good Luck...
Likewise: disabling the reversing beeps, removing a seat belt as the seat is no longer present or unbolting the reversing mirror as it was snapped off in a car wash.

I think the point that the OP is trying to achieve is to make accessing the interlock switch easier rather than bypassing it. While it is a safety feature, it would not prevent someone being squashed in the roof if the button was pressed. Not sure whether a policy would pay out in the event of squashing an occupant in the roof any more than it would if you dropped the bonnet on your head or wound up the window with your arm poking thru :).
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:12 pm

The other handy thing with the roof lock switch where it is (not sure about later AFTs with the higher lift) is that you can't press it when the inner roof is up. If you did try to drop the roof with the inner roof up, like you'd be able to do accidentally if the switch had been bypassed, the roof tent will get tangled up in the inner roof and could damage it.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:30 pm

My roof doesn't go up far enough for the switch to engage anyway and do you know in 2 years I've not once squashed anyone or anything. Amazing :roll:
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.

Return to “Techie Stuff”