Double DIN DAB Radio

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Douglas
Junior Bongonaut

Double DIN DAB Radio

Post by Douglas » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:54 pm

Anyone have any recommendations for a DAB radio to fit the double DIN slot? Also, looking to see if my Sat Nav app on our iPhone and Android can link in. Halfords have a Pioneer that seems to suit.

Thanks
Andy12
Bongonaut

Re: Double DIN DAB Radio

Post by Andy12 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:42 pm

Can't help but like the idea of double din with bluetooth, looks like i'm of for a look on Halford's website.
Douglas
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Douglas » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:02 pm

I'm planning to quiz Halfords and report back.
Michael1308
Bongonaut

Post by Michael1308 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:34 am

Hi. I literally brought the double din dab yesterday from halfords! How strange. Haven't fitted it yet but hope to get time today. I'll let you know how it goes.
Douglas
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Douglas » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:02 am

I guess my main concern is that it really will show sat nav apps from phones onto the screen. Would save sticking my old and un-updated Tom Tom on the screen.
Michael1308
Bongonaut

Post by Michael1308 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi. I've fitted the stereo and I am enjoying it. I don't have the cable for my phone but the blue tooth works on it and I've had a conversation with no problems either end of the phone. Haven't tried playing music via blue tooth yet. DAB work's great and love the fact I can watch dvd's in the van now.
Douglas
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Douglas » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:57 pm

Thanks for the update. Halfords in Hendon were a bit sceptical about AppRadio and suggested cable connection is best, and even better would be to load up a high capacity USB stick with music and drive it directly from the unit via cable, saving phone charge etc. I'm planning on the first stage of installation on Monday. if that goes well I hope to add a reversing camera, as I find it disconcerting at night to rely on weak reversing lights and the exterior mirror.
Douglas
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Douglas » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:47 am

Got the Pioneer unit. Works well, even though the controls are really set up for left hand drive vehicles. I guess that's the price we pay for driving on the correct side of the road. Halfords suggested using the USB feed for music instead of connecting a phone. As a 32Gb stick only costs about £15 that's a good call. Can't get AppRadio from my Galaxy to work anything useful on the head unit. Will try on of the family's iPhones to see if that works for sat nav. Otherwise I need Pioneer support to see if I can get my phone sat nav to show on the unit maybe via cable. The fun of transitional technology.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Which model did you go for in the end? I've been looking at the Pioneer DAB+ range too.

Pretty much all stereos tend to have the main controls (such as volume) on the left hand side including all those made in Japan where they drive on the same side as us :)
Michael1308
Bongonaut

Post by Michael1308 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:05 pm

I got the AVH-X3500DAB. The controls are on the left. I've had a look and I'll probably buy the steering wheel mounted remote. You'd think that would be included! Great stereo though. Love the DAB, had a very long drive to and from Gretna this week and it was good to have additional channel's to listen too.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:36 pm

That's the one I've been looking at as I can wire in a reversing camera (or two). Did it come with DAB aerial for the windscreen or did you get one of their £20 jobbies?
Michael1308
Bongonaut

Post by Michael1308 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Yes I got the Windscreen aerial. The stereo is cheaper online and I got the aerial with it in a bundle. They just did the online price in store for me so I could have it there and then.
Douglas
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Douglas » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:20 pm

AVH-X3500DAB. I think it's an old model. Reserved online to get the price. Needed windscreen aerial which seems to work OK, plus a connector. Sound is pretty good, and I decided to hook up a USB stick for music, which is easy. Now looking for suggestions for a reversing camera to view via the input.
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:24 am

I am looking at the same unit. I have a Japanese steroe and reversing camera at the moment. If I buy the Pioneer unit can I transfer/connect the reverse camera to it?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:32 am

It does work with reversing camera and AV input.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”