fitting exhaust centre section

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sirius
Junior Bongonaut

fitting exhaust centre section

Post by sirius » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi all,
Just arrived back from a week end trip away in the bongo and found the centre section of the exhaust has given up. I've ordered up the centre section and gaskets from the club shop. I have a 2.5 diesel, the year is 1997.

Does anyone have any advice to make fitting slightly easier? Do I need to use a sealant as well as the gaskets? I've never fitted an exhaust before so any guidance would be welcomed.
Thanks
Ally :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: fitting exhaust centre section

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:22 pm

I fitted a centre section and it was very easy. You shouldn't need sealant Just the gaskets. Of course it all depends on bolts not being rusted solid but as long as they aren't and you have the right parts and you have ramps for ground clearance, it's a really simple job. Watch out you don't get rust in your eyes whilst working underneath - protective glasses are a good idea ;-)
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:31 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:... Of course it all depends on bolts not being rusted solid ...
I had a tough time first time round - luckily second time I replaced the entire exhaust, so only front three nuts to undo.

To give yourself a fighting change, get a good, stiff wire brush onto the exposed threads of your bolts and clean them up as best you can, then some rust dissolver/penetrator spray onto them at least the day before - soak them a few times. You might find a small blowtorch handy when it comes to it, but watch your surrounding, underseal, etc... only use if confident. You may want to order a 600mm breaker bar if you don't already have one, and maybe even grease the exposed threads when you begin to remove them.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:50 pm

A breaker bar is a really good investment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-600mm-2- ... B000O619PA

Brilliant for wheel nuts, too. :wink:
sirius
Junior Bongonaut

Post by sirius » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice. :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”