Leaking gasket advice

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Blueskai
Bongolier

Leaking gasket advice

Post by Blueskai » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:08 pm

OK, here goes. I have had a problem with smoke and seem to have traced a possible reason to the gaskets pictured.
The dark area along the gasket is moisture and while it is present the exhaust kicks out white/blue smoke. When it gets up to temperature it runs clean and the gasket shows no signs of moisture (I guess due to expansion) If I leave it to cool for a couple of hours and drive it I have found on two occasions apocalyptic plumes of smoke filling the street.

This returns to normal when cold. I know we are in turbo territory, and so what is causing moisture here.?

Also What can I use to easily and successfully seal these joints, the one above also leaks.

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Leaking gasket advice

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:21 pm

is it a winter pack bongo with the valve in the exhaust??. could be back pressure from that, or the exhaust restricted/damaged.
is it using some engine oil, maybe its oil seals are leaking oil into the turbo, this may make it run over temp so the gaskets leak.

pull the in and out pipes off and have a good look inside, they do usually show oil in the turbo pipe to the intercooler, this is picked up from the rocker/crank breather, this is at the back of the head (25mm pipe from rocker cover to the back of the head).

coolant. is your coolant level ok. airlocking around the system may stop flow so lead to hot running, the turbo is oil and water cooled.
Blueskai
Bongolier

Post by Blueskai » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:28 pm

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.

It is not fitted with a winter pack.
I have lost a little coolant in the past, which I am assuming is the water that steams off this when hot.
This section gets very hot very quickly, but I don't know what normal temperature is.

It isn't losing oil to any great degree, the rocker top has the usual drooling, like it's sucking a blackjack.

I will do the checks you mention.

Two concerns. Is the moisture in any way connected to coolant getting in the chambers?
What is the likelihood I will need a new turbo?

Thanks Again.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:54 pm

Blueskai wrote:
Two concerns. Is the moisture in any way connected to coolant getting in the chambers?
What is the likelihood I will need a new turbo?

Thanks Again.
if the exhaust is ok (not restricted) then you need to find out whats going on, if it was coolant it wouldnt stain, so its probably oil, it is most likely from the egr or the turbo itself or the rocker breather, take the breather pipe off and check the emissions.

what oil are you using, and is the egr blanked off. incorrect oil would make a difference to the breathing of the engine.
Blueskai
Bongolier

Post by Blueskai » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:13 pm

To clarify, it evaporates when hot, so definitely water.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:38 pm

if its water and the gasket joint is tight then it must be using a lot of coolant to show up there.
there may be no option than to take it off, then you could maybe see any signs of water in the exhaust manifold, or check the internals of the turbo, it splits in half so you may see internal coolant tracks where its leaking as coolant will clean the carbon and leave a track.

this link may help.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ifold+stud

Return to “Techie Stuff”