Cobb oven

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

haybal
Bongolier

Cobb oven

Post by haybal » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi all,

I have been looking at these as an alternative to just using gas, are they as good as they claim to be?
It is mainly for when not on hookup as we have a small oven, any thoughts,pros/cons, experiences would be a great help.

Cheers
Barry
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Cobb oven

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:17 pm

They have their fans, Cadac do too. I've seen both in operation but never bought one.

We just use a small table-top barbecue (actually the brazier off a tagine), see here for examples....

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 48&t=62389

No doubt the Cobb & Cadac people will be along shortly :D
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:19 pm

I'll move this to camping equipment for future reference. :wink:
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:29 pm

I've had one for a couple of years and find it great. I must admit though that I wouldn't have bought one if I'd had to pay the full price.

I've cooked everything on it from sausages to a leg of lamb with great success. The manufacturers make a great thing of using the correct fuel and reckon their purpose made briquettes are the best but very expensive. With trial and error you can find something much cheaper.

One thing to remember is that whatever fuel you use must be burning well before you even start to cook or you are likely to be very disappointed. It's remarkable what you can cook with very little fuel. The unit itself is very well made and easy to clean and stores away in its own bag. One great advantage over others is that the outside stays cool and can be stood on even flammable surfaces.
hairyneep
Bongolier

Post by hairyneep » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:35 pm

Got one last year and love it. I've used it for stews, paella, pizza and loads of other stuff. My kitchen oven is broken at the moment so used the Cobb to do a roast rib of beef last week. It barely fitted in but was cooked to perfection.

Takes a bit of trial and error to get used to it but we think it's great.
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:39 pm

I've had one for a few years now and love it. It does take a bit of practice to master it but we've had some fabulous meals cooked on it, from casseroles to roast dinners with all the trimmings. Sometimes we use it at home, it's so convenient.
When our gas bottle regulator broke on the Outer Hebrides it became invaluable, we were even boiling water on it (though we've got a kelly kettle for that now :wink:!).

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”