ignition key illumination.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

windywatson
Tribal Elder

ignition key illumination.

Post by windywatson » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi fellow members,
I've been in a new job for a few months on a 6am to 6pm shift which means that currently going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. So on occasions I've struggled to see to located the ignition key hole due to it being dark. Anyway I've found the little green lens in the steering column housing that should be illuminated to light up the key location. Guess it's never worked, have two bongos and never noticed it until now. So on investigation found small bulb that had blown. Took it to motor factors and got replacement, had to guess at value as unreadable. However fitted a 1.2w one and it seems to do the job fine.
So now a couple of questions. 1, did I get the correct value of bulb? and 2, should it be on constantly? I thought it would only be on whilst door open or when lights on, but mine appears to be pemantly on.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: ignition key illumination.

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Mine comes on when I open the door .. then instantly goes off when turning the ignition on ...

I have never checked .. or timed how long it stays on after closing the door .. or turning the ignition on though ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:36 pm

It will go off after a couple of minutes after you have removed the key. The bulb you've got sounds fine. I just needs to be bright enough to illuminate the lock.
Gixermark
Bongolier

Post by Gixermark » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:06 pm

Is this only on the newer shaped Bongo? ( I have a 96 model and can't recall this feature! )
Thanks
pc13cb92
Bongonaut

Post by pc13cb92 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi,
just looked at mine, and I also have a green lens there that doesnt light up. Havent noticed it was there since I got the Bongo 9 months ago! What has to come off to get at and replace the bulb?

96 2wd diesel auto aft

regards
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:09 am

They are either fitted with a round black blanking disc or a green lens. My '98 van didn't have a green lens, but the current '02 does. I've only seen them fitted to models from '99 onwards but it may have been optional on earlier models.
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:07 am

To get to this bulb to replace it you have to remove three screws from the cowling below the steering column. You can then pull the top of the cowling off. It is very tight, but it will come off . Drop the steering wheel down to its lowest position will help give better clearance . The bulb holder can then be pulled out from the hole its mounted in from above, or you can drop the bottom half of the cowling down and pull it out very easily. As I said I bought a 1.2w as a replacement and that seems to be OK. Much better with it working.
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
heavylevy
Bongonaut

Post by heavylevy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi there
Read this thread with great interest. I too have a blown bulb but have been unable to source a new build from our local car shops/ motor factors so will have to resort to the internet but I don't know the part number can anyone help.
Thanks in advance and merry christmas :D
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:33 pm

heavylevy wrote:Hi there
Read this thread with great interest. I too have a blown bulb but have been unable to source a new build from our local car shops/ motor factors so will have to resort to the internet but I don't know the part number can anyone help.
Thanks in advance and merry christmas :D

Part number is B45660223 14V 1.4W

Return to “Techie Stuff”