Off the shelf stainless steel exhausts!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Phill

Off the shelf stainless steel exhausts!

Post by Phill » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:40 pm

Hi guys,

From what I understand nobody does an off the shelf mild steel (i.e standard material) system for the bongo?

My 1996 2.5TD will be going into my local branch of Longlife shortly to have a hand made stainless steel exhaust made. This will be made from 2mm thick grade 304 material.

They come with a lifetime warranty which is the important thing to me - it's all well and good paying good money for a stainless steel exhaust but if it fails after a few years and the warranty has run out what good is it??

Anyway the point of my post is that they will be using my Bongo as a pattern and will create a jig so that they can make stainless steel exhausts to order and they can be posted out to you if you can't get to a Longlife branch.

I'll post up more details and pics of the job etc. Just thought it may interest a few of you 'hardcore bongo owners' like myself! lol.
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:08 pm

off the shelf mild steel exhausts are available Phill, I got mine from ava leisure I believe :wink: I wanted a stainless one, but could not travel to get one made and fitted, so an off the shelf one sounds good to me :lol:
Image Pete
Spike

Post by Spike » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:12 pm

More than a little interested Phill,
As at the moment i'm driving around with out a back box, as it fell off. :?
Cheers
Spike 8)
Dago & Mrs D
Supreme Being

Post by Dago & Mrs D » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:25 am

Spike,

Bongobits also do exhausts, in fact if you look at the list of dealers, several should be able to help. You may find one is close to your location.
geewhy5668

Post by geewhy5668 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:40 pm

mine snapped just before the flexi part in the middle a couple of days ago.
rather than shell out 100 plus quid for another i just got my brother to weld it back together with a his machine and a 2 inch strip if mild steel

lets see how long it lasts :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Phill

Post by Phill » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:51 pm

Well i'll keep you all posted. Will be dropping it off on Friday - i've told him to take loads of pics! 8)
Spike

Post by Spike » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:50 pm

Hey Phil,
Any news on the SS exhaust you had fitted and the availability of buying on over the phone and fitting myself.
Cheers
Spike 8)
Ps Cheers Dago saw the bongo bits exhaust but a bit expensive i feel.
mijperformance

MIJ

Post by mijperformance » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:19 pm

We custom build stainless steel exhausts... Done quite a few for members on here :o)
neil/di
Bongolier

Post by neil/di » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:42 pm

mijperformance have you got a price
Neil
A Bongos is not just for christmas
Spike

Post by Spike » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:15 pm

I did think about you Mij,But your to far away from me on the south coast, Going with Longlife branch in Basingstoke, i'll let you know who i get on.
Cheers
Spike
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: MIJ

Post by Ian » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:10 pm

mijperformance wrote:We custom build stainless steel exhausts... Done quite a few for members on here :o)
Will you supply to third party fitters?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bingabanga

stainless exhausts

Post by Bingabanga » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:55 pm

as yet I dont need a new exhaust but can someone explain why a great fat silencer box can changed to a relatively small one when it is stainless?
I always thought silencer systems were designed around the amount of exhaust gas it had to handle?? :roll:
mijperformance

Re: stainless exhausts

Post by mijperformance » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:46 pm

Bingabanga wrote:as yet I dont need a new exhaust but can someone explain why a great fat silencer box can changed to a relatively small one when it is stainless?
I always thought silencer systems were designed around the amount of exhaust gas it had to handle?? :roll:
Silencers are designed by manufacturers in the way they are for various reasons: laws & regulations, various tests etc. It may make you think then why didnt the manufacturer make a system the same style as a our stainless steel system. Well cost is one factor & ofcourse would it need replacing ever "NO". So no return custom.

As for the size, we can achieve a better setup, without restrictions as such with OEM systems. Free up more power & better MPG. All in all a better exhaust with life-time guarantee assurance.

Also the question raised by Ian was do we offer a Third-Party to fit our systems? at present "NO", we like to offer our customers the choice of exhaust style which generally tends to a be a nice discrete, quite system. We custom build & fit it ourself to assure the validity of the guarantee.

As for prices? PM me for details, also we will be advertising on the site with discount stated which we already offer to members.
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:20 pm

hi mjp............why not do the off the shelf exhaust?

i for one would prefer to deal with someone who has a knoledge of a bongo and with people already buying from you with no bad feedback.

but for me to come to the west midlands for an exhaust fitting would be just stupid as i know of 2 companys who do stainless exhaust systems locally.

when my bongo does need a new exhaust it will be a new stainless steel one, as of all the cars i have owned.

so no doubt alot of other bongo owners would buy one from you, it would just be a case of getting a price for delivery.
Spike

Post by Spike » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:45 pm

Well, Just back from having my new SS exhaust made & fitted by Longlife at their Basingstoke Branch, and i must say I'm very impressed.
I was offered a different range of end fitting and asked how loud did i want the exhaust to be,(went for the middle of the road not too loud but sounds fruity).
The price fitted was £299, that includes a life time warranty, which i didn't think was bad when compared to the OE exhaust price.
The exhaust was made there and then, while i waited, It took a couple of hours but I was offered tea and Internet access while i waited.
After the fitting the Bongo was driven down the road to test it and it sounds really nice, So I'm very happy with the workmanship carried out and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
Hope this helps someone when they are in need of a new exhaust system.
Cheers
Spike 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”