Shorting Risk Diesel - engine oil dipstick ?!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

New S Wales 2010
Bongonaut

Shorting Risk Diesel - engine oil dipstick ?!

Post by New S Wales 2010 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:19 pm

Very worried today as my partner went to do a routine oil level check (with the ignition off) and managed to create a short which burnt the end of the dipstick !!!! Seems like the dipstick bridged between an electrical connection nut on the end of the alternator, and the dipstick casing (which is obviously to earth ). No fuses blown and everything still works OK, other than needing to replace the dipstick.

Meanwhile I am obviously worried :

a) Is this something that has happened before on other Bongos ?

b) Should there be live power on the end of the alternator when the ignition is off, or could there be something wrong with my wiring ?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Shorting Risk Diesel - engine oil dipstick ?!

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:31 pm

There should be a cover over the nut on the rear of the alternator as I recall. Sounds like yours is missing, so maybe you could fabricate something with a short piece of hosepipe split down the side, slid over the cable & taped into place.

That connection will always be live, so no problems with your wiring.
the laird
Supreme Being

Re: Shorting Risk Diesel - engine oil dipstick ?!

Post by the laird » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:35 pm

There's normally a rubber bung type thing to insulate the post and it should be live nothing at all wrong with your motor.go to a scrappy if you want Astras,fords and many more have them but as Simon says there's a saying guys!a piece of hose or plastic would suffice

Return to “Techie Stuff”