Rear cigar lighter help.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Seagull
Bongonaut

Rear cigar lighter help.

Post by Seagull » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:16 pm

My Inverter just went up in smoke and after changing the main fuse to the cigar lighters' circuit (thank god it tripped out), I notice the rear cigar lighter - where the inverter died - is still not working.

The little light is on but the socket does not work. Does is have it's own separate fuse behind the socket? If so, how do you get to it to change?

Mine's a T Reg (2000) Ford Freda by the way.

Cheers,

John
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Re: Rear cigar lighter help.

Post by daveblueozzie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:27 am

The wiring for the cigar socket is very thin and not up to the job of an inverter, the best thing to do is upgrade and rewire to a new socket to be on the safe side.
If you have a leisure battery wire it up to that with an in line fuse.
Lost without my Bongo.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:02 am

There's a fusible link built into the rear of the socket but I don't believe it is replaceable. Either go with DBO's suggestion or bypass the link using a separate replaceable fuse and holder.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:43 am

I think it is correct to point out that the rear socket is NOT a cigar lighter socket even though it looks like one. It is simply a quite low power socket unsuited to anything more than running a low powered cool box.

There have been plenty of posts on this forum warning about using it for anything other than low power applications.

I have found that using an inverter other than wired direct to the battery is asking for problems.
Seagull
Bongonaut

Post by Seagull » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks for the responses.

I wish I had spotted the issue with the rear socket before. Looks like it's more of a repair than changing a fuse then.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Seagull wrote:Thanks for the responses.

I wish I had spotted the issue with the rear socket before. Looks like it's more of a repair than changing a fuse then.
When I upgraded my wiring I replaced the standard socket with a Marine one and added a 2pin DIN for the fridge as well. You do have to enlarge the hole for the Marine socket but it is much sturdier. ( Tip: If you use the Marine socket from Maplins and you have to put the spade connector on with it in situ hold a plug in the socket while you push it on or the centre terminal can pop out causing much bad language!)
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
bongojoe
Bongolier

Post by bongojoe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:47 pm

I have the factory-fitted inverter with a 100v outlet beside my rear lighter socket. The same set of wires powers both and they're incredibly thin. I plan to use the 100v to charge camera batteries while away, but certainly going to rewire straight to the leisure battery first.
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT

Return to “Techie Stuff”