Replacement sleeping compartment floor - ideas & methods

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Purple Pixie
Bongolier

Replacement sleeping compartment floor - ideas & methods

Post by Purple Pixie » Sun May 19, 2013 11:18 pm

Greetings!

I suffered from camper envy this weekend with a look inside a VW T5 camper roof space, instead of an opening in the middle, the roof panel had an opening along the high side of the roof with a sliding panel to close it off... this option makes getting one of the kids up/down while the other sleeps, a lot more easy.... has anyone replaced the central opening hatched panel with a different one a la T5?

What materials are used to produced the flocked finish and with the right strength? What needs to be disconnected and reconnected?

A bit like the opposite to this one in 15mm poplar plywood (i.e. small flap)

--

===========================
1999 Ford Freda - "Purple Pixie"
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Replacement sleeping compartment floor - ideas & methods

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon May 20, 2013 8:54 pm

do a search on here for the catflap.
Purple Pixie
Bongolier

Post by Purple Pixie » Mon May 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks for that, this was what I was looking at, the existing sleeping platform is cut and "U" section or "L" section placed along the cut edge (something softer than ally section might be preferred for little shins and knees)

The modification therefore appears to retain the hydraulic lifters (or relocate them) then cut the platform off so that the longest length (i.e. the sleeping platform, is static and the lifter then raises the short section to the rear of the roof space.... a minimum amount of modification with the electrics and hinging basically stick

Can anyone list what is actually changed??

photobucket here: http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/umbon ... t=3&page=1
--

BrianD
Bongonaut

Post by BrianD » Fri May 24, 2013 7:03 am

I've swapped my roof for a "catflap" converted roof that was in a Bongo being broken up for spares. What it looks like - the factory panel is cut across behind the hatch, and both sides of the cut strengthened. Uses the same rear hinge points and upper strut mounting points, electrics, the lower strut mounting points are moved towards the back. The new points were just drilled and basically big self tappers to fix. Can measure the distance if needed, or if you are anywhere handy to Bournemouth you are welcome to have a look. Works well with my set up, I have a (retro-fitted) original jap nsr kitchen unit. We use a U double downstairs (mid and front seats), when camping the new hatch section is permanently up and has a bunk ladder fixed in place so my son can get up and down without having to be lifted and/or stand on the lower bed.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri May 24, 2013 7:56 pm

i just used a flat piece of steel 8 inches long to (move) the bottom mounting point backwards. screw the steel in place using the existing mount points, then drill holes further back to mount the strut bottom. saves making holes everywhere, and is reversible.

another benefit is that head height is improved while in day mode, as the roof goes up further.
Purple Pixie
Bongolier

Post by Purple Pixie » Fri May 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:i just used a flat piece of steel 8 inches long to (move) the bottom mounting point backwards. screw the steel in place using the existing mount points, then drill holes further back to mount the strut bottom. saves making holes everywhere, and is reversible..
Could you possibly post some photos of this please as it will make understanding what you have done easier, I would be happy to put them in my flickr album if you don't have any online storage......
--

Gump
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Gump » Thu May 30, 2013 12:17 pm

I had issues with the original roof so I made my own changes from seeking advice on here and checking out what others do. I replaced the roof with 18mm plywood lined with 5cm foam. I made two sections which allows to get up top from the rear. I have a 3yr old who sleeps up there so at the moment its big enough. I guess any bigger and I may have to have a rethink or look into the cat flap option

Let me know if you wish to see pics
Purple Pixie
Bongolier

Post by Purple Pixie » Thu May 30, 2013 8:43 pm

Would love to see the finished product and get some final dimensions of the panels and what you finished the edges with. Did you move the gas strut mountings and the electrics?
--

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”