refurbing the inside grey trim?

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

refurbing the inside grey trim?

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Wed May 01, 2013 9:45 pm

hi all, would like to try and tidy up the grey trim inside but there are scuffs and scratches that im not sure how to tackle. any ideas (and pics) anyone?

thanks x
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Re: refurbing the inside grey trim?

Post by philpdr » Fri May 03, 2013 11:39 pm

Also interested in this,found this link.
http://www.fabricspray.co.uk/upholstery-spray-paint
They have a listing for vinyl spray paint,anybody tried it or similar?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat May 04, 2013 3:50 am

Hi
Which trim?...plastic or fabric?
I'm guessing that you mean plastic, by referring to scuffs and scratches?....
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
cheffy34
Supreme Being

Post by cheffy34 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:13 am

I did mine with that leatherette paint, looks ok and gets rid of that dirty look that you forever try scrub out i even did the bottom light grey bit on the dash because it looked rank, i will get around to recovering them with new material because it will be cheaper than the paint with a better finish shoudnt be to hard once you got the old leatheret crap off, the hard plastic bits i just plastic primed and used satin black, laquer it if your worried about scratching

I must confess tho my van looks like a bag s**t inside and out tho since the wife passed her test i spend most time trying to repair the front end

Dar
All disclaimers count as i know nothing
BUY A V6er i like my affair with the petrol pump
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sat May 04, 2013 8:32 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Which trim?...plastic or fabric?
I'm guessing that you mean plastic, by referring to scuffs and scratches?....
Cheers
Helen
hi helen, yes its the grey plastic and having had another look there are also patches of light grey almost like where it has been bleached?. im going to look at a breaking bongo today so might see if there are any replacement trims for the worst bits. if not i will have to see what to do. not sure i would be confident in painting it...
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat May 04, 2013 11:43 am

Hi Betty
About 8-9 years ago, I re-diddled the dash on my Bongo, as it had screw holes, marks from sticky pads where the Japanese owner had gadgets fixed, and so on....It really let the vehicle down. First job was to clean it, so I used thinners...nothing else touched it...so, the expected happened, and it marred the surface...no worries, BUT it did reveal that the colour is only superficial, and underneath the pale grey, especially, it was BLACK!!!!!!
This won't be a worry, as you want to colour it. I did the whole dash, and centre round the cubby.
If you go to a PROPER Auto Paint Factor, you will be able to buy plastic bumper paint....ask what they recommend . I bought a pre-cleaner, a special plastic primer made for the bumper paint , and the paint itself.
First choose your colour...there should be a good choice from the colour chip samples.
Wash the dash / trim panels with a spirit, then when dry, use the pre-cleaner, and mask more carefully than careful!!!!!!!!!, I had all the screen, door-trims, carpet 'n' all masked...
Next use the AEROSOL primer (specify aerosols), then when dry, use a couple of coats of colour ....let the whole lot dry off (I waited 'till next day).....remove masking, and admire...easy job, just need some care.
If you do the job well, it's as tough as old boots , as the paint is for bumpers...My 45 kilo German Shepherd had his claws on the dash, and it didn't mark when he scrabbled for a cat!
Good Luck
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sun May 05, 2013 10:16 am

thanks Helen, will have to look into it. the breaking bongos i went to see yesterday were no good, their trim was even worse than mine, though i did get an arial, which i have been after for a while so all good :) :)

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”