Un-Pimping Freda

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

nicxf
Bongolier

Un-Pimping Freda

Post by nicxf » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 pm

Thought this might be useful for anyone looking at getting a Bongo/Freda, orwho has bought one that's had a DIY conversion they're not keen on.

When I bought PhoebeFreda, she'd had her insides modified, turning the whole of the rear section into a comfortable double mattress with storage underneath. However, that's not at all what I needed, so I quickly went about restoring her to her fully flexible original glory.

Here's the middle row of seats - customised covers:

And the replacement foam hidden underneath them - no headrests at all - not very safe!

Making a start on taking the back box out (it was just screwed in so even a numpty like me could dismantle it. The thick piece of foam you can see stood behind the box was on top of it to form the rest of the mattress, when the middle seats were laid down:

Back box out, yukky carpet visible. Also original fittings for the flip-up seats can be seen, mercifully still intact including nuts and bolts:

Thanks to a breakers yard, I managed to source some lovely new seats; both the middle row with decent headrests and the arm rest, and the rear flip seats too. They even fitted them for me while I waited - bargain!

...and here she is nicely arranged for camping - bed, chair and table! Since this was taken I've also cannibalised the foam from the old mattress to make a flatter insert piece to replace the headrest, to make the bed more comfortable, but it still means the headrest can be left in when it's being used as a seat:

....And now all the mechanical fixes needed so far have been done, all I need to do is to get out and about! =D>
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Re: Un-Pimping Freda

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sat May 04, 2013 9:52 am

looking good =D> , they are fantastically versatile :D :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat May 04, 2013 10:15 am

A huge improvement =D>

One of my sadnesses about Bongos is seeing them bought cheap and treated cheap. The standard flip up seat 8 seater is very versatile and I still find the standard seats make a comfy bed. You've struck a blow for Bongo conservation - hurrah and lashings of cake and ginger beer for you. :-)

Ps - when using middle and back seats as a bed, I always take the middle seat headrests out and put them in back to front to get rid of the bump they otherwise cause.
nicxf
Bongolier

Post by nicxf » Sat May 04, 2013 10:39 am

Oo... Would that be chocolate cake, and ginger beer of the alcoholic variety? =D> Yum!

I love the flexibility of the interior - it means I have the option of making space for my bike too, on a longer tour (which I'm planning for the summer). At least 'till I can afford a bike rack.

And yes, replacing the headrest when using the middle and back seats as a bed is a must - I've made a foam insert to fit in there when the headrest is removed, which makes a huge difference. :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat May 04, 2013 1:28 pm

nicxf wrote:Oo... Would that be chocolate cake, and ginger beer of the alcoholic variety? =D> Yum!

I love the flexibility of the interior - it means I have the option of making space for my bike too, on a longer tour (which I'm planning for the summer). At least 'till I can afford a bike rack.

And yes, replacing the headrest when using the middle and back seats as a bed is a must - I've made a foam insert to fit in there when the headrest is removed, which makes a huge difference. :)
What I meant was REVERSE the headrests in their sockets, as it makes the bed almost flat, and might mean you don't have to carry extra foam. Unreverse them for normal use :-)
nicxf
Bongolier

Post by nicxf » Sat May 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Oo... I haven't tried that!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat May 04, 2013 8:10 pm

nicxf wrote:Oo... I haven't tried that!
A little bit of fun for you over the bank holiday. :-)
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun May 05, 2013 7:19 pm

I never knew until now that there was an armrest there. Just been out and checked, sure enough there is. Already thinking of ways of turning it into some sort of cache.

That's now my back seat. Don't have any middle seats unless I slide the bench forward again (got full lenth rails). Normally the middle of the van is my cargo area.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”