Webasto Heater

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Steveoms
Apprentice Bongonaut

Webasto Heater

Post by Steveoms » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi All

Ok, this one has got me. The camper seems to have a Webasto heater installed. There is a control know in the rear next to the Zig unit which turns to switch on and inc rease heat as you turn it up, I guess. Nothing seems to happen but then again I have no idea what is supposed to happen. Is there something else I need to do?

Many thanks.

Steve
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Webasto Heater

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:51 pm

All you need is diesel and power, so start by checking the pipes to the pump and the fuse. On the Eberspacher equivalent of the rheostat there is a green LED so if there is some form of indicator does it light up? They need a fair but of power to get them started so you could also try it with the engine running.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Simon Jones wrote:All you need is diesel and power, so start by checking the pipes to the pump and the fuse. On the Eberspacher equivalent of the rheostat there is a green LED so if there is some form of indicator does it light up? They need a fair but of power to get them started so you could also try it with the engine running.
Yep, triangular green LED on the Webasto control. if there isn't enough voltage or other problem it will flash a fault code. If it doesn't light up at all, check fuse, connections and wiring.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
Tessie
Bongolier

Post by Tessie » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:53 pm

Perhaps a silly question but have you switched your 12volt supply on? If not the heater won't work.
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.
Steveoms
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Steveoms » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:33 am

Hi

Yes 12 volt is on i.e. fridge, water pump, lights etc are working on leisure battery. Running the vehicle for a while doesn`t do anything. There is no led facility on the knob. There is no activity under the vehicle, nothing from the exhaust and the pipes are not warm. I have tried to attach a photo, the knob is on the bottom. If there is a fuse for this does anyone know where I might find it? Thanks.

Steve

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95318682@N ... hotostream
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:39 am

Try running a temporary supply (with a fuse in) direct from the battery to the heater to make sure power is getting to it. Check the negative side is earthed well.
Then have a look to see where the diesel supply is coming from, it's usually tapped into the main supply to the filter or sometimes they have a separate tank (if so, has it got any fuel in).
If all the above looks OK then see you can get the switch out (or to the back of it) and bypass it, could be a dodgy switch/rheostat.
Usually with these the fan will start up and run for a while then the little pump will start to click to feed the diesel to the heater. Check the wiring to the pump is OK as well as the unit may run a test and if it sees no pump then won't start.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:25 am

briwy wrote:Try running a temporary supply (with a fuse in) direct from the battery to the heater to make sure power is getting to it. Check the negative side is earthed well.
Then have a look to see where the diesel supply is coming from, it's usually tapped into the main supply to the filter or sometimes they have a separate tank (if so, has it got any fuel in).
If all the above looks OK then see you can get the switch out (or to the back of it) and bypass it, could be a dodgy switch/rheostat.
Usually with these the fan will start up and run for a while then the little pump will start to click to feed the diesel to the heater. Check the wiring to the pump is OK as well as the unit may run a test and if it sees no pump then won't start.
They can also be fed directly from the tank via an internal standpipe which mine is. The LED in the webasto control isn't that obvious until it ligts up. Although if you have pipes that heat up you are talking about a different type of heater than those most of us use in Bongos. There are other types, but I was thinking of a hot air cabin heaterlike the Airtop2000.
Could it be a block heater or a fuel heater? Afraid I don't know anything about those although there was a thread about two weeks ago with some info on one.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:26 am

briwy wrote:Try running a temporary supply (with a fuse in) direct from the battery to the heater to make sure power is getting to it. Check the negative side is earthed well.
They can also be fed directly from the tank via an internal standpipe which mine is. The LED in the webasto control isn't that obvious until it ligts up. Although if you have pipes that heat up you are talking about a different type of heater than those most of us use in Bongos. There are other types, but I was thinking of a hot air cabin heaterlike the Airtop2000.
Could it be a block heater or a fuel heater? Afraid I don't know anything about those although there was a thread about two weeks ago with some info on one.
Steveoms
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Steveoms » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi

Ok, I think I have found the problem. The unit is an Air Top 2000S, I opened the top where the wiring goes and found that the black plug connector has burnt. I guess that the unit electronics are probably damaged too. Is there anyone who might be able to repair this in the South? Thanks.

Steve
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:08 am

Depends on where in "the South" you are, but the Webasto website should point you in the right direction http://motorhome.webasto.co.uk/service.html

If you're near the coast, you're more likely to find a Webasto repair person at a marina than anywhere else.

Mine was installed, and is serviced, at a yachtie place!
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:31 pm

Steveoms wrote:Hi

Ok, I think I have found the problem. The unit is an Air Top 2000S, I opened the top where the wiring goes and found that the black plug connector has burnt. I guess that the unit electronics are probably damaged too. Is there anyone who might be able to repair this in the South? Thanks.

Steve
Bristol Auto Electrics fitted mine, there is another dealer in Downend or Yate I think.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”