Hold Button

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

weebrian
Bongolier

Hold Button

Post by weebrian » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Nearly two years ago when I bought my van from a respected supplier in Worcestershire I was advised never to use the hold button as it could end up costing a fortune in gearbox repairs.
As a result, I have been paranoid about using the function, even to the point of investigating disabling it completely. It's obvious benefits must be worth it when driving in hilly terrain but should I chance it? I've not come across any posts suggesting a problem but maybe it's so well known, nobody bothers to mention it.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: Hold Button

Post by mikexgough » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 pm

Nowt wrong with using the Hold button buddy..... dropping down a gear giving engine braking effect and also when snowy, by using S and hold...so it doesn't change up.... Can't fathom why the fear was expressed by the dealer....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:22 pm

We use hold button regularly never had any problems. :D
Gixermark
Bongolier

Post by Gixermark » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:13 pm

As I was informed when I first picked my Bongo up "If Mazda had intended the hold button NOT to be used then they wouldn't have fitted it in the first place"!
Taken on board, used when needed ( uphill / downhill / across dale ... especially when bored! ) and no problems so far!
Problem with forums etc, one person has a problem that may well have been their fault due to bad driving techniques etc, then everyone jumps on the band wagon and worries!
Drive the Bongo, enjoy it now the weather is looking up ......and use the b****y hold button! =D>
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:53 pm

On my 3rd Bongo in 7 years,regularly used the hold button on all of them without any issues

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
New S Wales 2010
Bongonaut

Post by New S Wales 2010 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:29 am

As above no probs with hold button. However, did always wonder, mechanically does pressing the button do exactly the same to the gearbox as moving the shift lever to knock it down a gear ?
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:43 am

The hold button does exactly what it says, it holds the bongo in the gear to stop it trying to change.
As has been said in earlier posts ideal for steep or winding hills, I always use the hold button, also great for not speeding past speed cameras as well :shock:
Lost without my Bongo.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Use mine all the time, so hope its not a bad idea. It drops the box down a gear, and I use it like a brake. Need to be sensible about not overstraining engine and gearbox but that would apply on any car. In hilly country I prefer to use S position to keep gearbox in lower gears, and still use HOLD where needed for braking. 8)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:25 pm

As Walsall is in a dip the only way out is up .. so I use the Hold button on / off most of the time ..

Far gentler on the engine to push the Hold button in and knock the 'overdrive' off when climbing hills .. saves engine wear (and fuel) better than using kick down ..

I also find that coming to an island my box tends to stay in to high gear to exit the at island a constant speed .. with Hold in, it is far better when accelerating out ..

Plus with the V6 .. Hold button in ... box in L .. the Bongo gets away 'surprisingly' quickly ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. It would seem that I've nothing to worry about using hold so here we go. I can only imagine that it will give a more enjoyable driving experience. My only experience in the past of an overdrive function was on an old Triumph Vitesse and that was worth having even if it was before the beginning of time!
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:09 pm

weebrian wrote:Thanks everyone for your comments. It would seem that I've nothing to worry about using hold so here we go. I can only imagine that it will give a more enjoyable driving experience. My only experience in the past of an overdrive function was on an old Triumph Vitesse and that was worth having even if it was before the beginning of time!
Overdrive?? Hold button??
What have they got to do with each other - in fact almost exactly the opposite of each other.
Nothing to
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Usually

Hold function =less MPG, more engine wear

Overdrive =more MPG,less engine wear
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:35 pm

To me the Hold button is exactly like an overdrive ..

When the Hold like is ..ON .. the overdrive (lock up) is OFF .. so the engine revs freer and is under less stress when under duress .. like towing a Caravan up an hill .. or for the extra engine braking when descending ..

When the Hold like is .. OFF .. the overdrive (lock up) is ON .. so the engine is revving lower .. and is under less stress when the engine is 'up to speed' and 'cruising' down the motor way ..

On My Toyota there is a button on the gear lever marked up as .. Overdrive .. and a similar O/D illuminating light on the dash ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:41 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:To me the Hold button is exactly like an overdrive ..

When the Hold like is ..ON .. the overdrive (lock up) is OFF .. so the engine revs freer and is under less stress when under duress .. like towing a Caravan up an hill .. or for the extra engine braking when descending ..

When the Hold like is .. OFF .. the overdrive (lock up) is ON .. so the engine is revving lower .. and is under less stress when the engine is 'up to speed' and 'cruising' down the motor way ..

On My Toyota there is a button on the gear lever marked up as .. Overdrive .. and a similar O/D illuminating light on the dash ..
Yup, i'll go with that. All the original poster was suggesting was that they were similarly useful.
DILLIGAF
Bongolier

Post by DILLIGAF » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Just back from exmoor (again, just love it.) used the hold button +s on most of the steep hills, especially places like the descent from "HAWKRIDGE" to "TARR STEPS", and whithypool bridge cottage where we stopped off today to watch the hunt from the high tops. There's loads of steep spots where the hold comes in really handy to help braking.
being a philosopher, i have a problem for every solution.

Return to “Techie Stuff”