sun canopy

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

vj3
Bongonaut

sun canopy

Post by vj3 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:50 pm

I have been looking for a well priced canopy.
I have an awning but fancy one of these also for if the sun actually comes out.

any recommendations?

i have just found this website. they look rather cute. and the website says they are suitable for bongo's too. Anyone got one ?

http://www.the-bus-shelter.com/index.html

vicki
the laird
Supreme Being

Re: sun canopy

Post by the laird » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:55 pm

I've got something similar I bought in sept never used it yet but very similar attaches with figure of eight strip
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 am

I bet a few folk will have tried tarp-type awnings. I can't offer you any experience but I'm about to try out the idea...

The Bus Shelter looks good, but I'd just make one up.

You could splash out on something like this... http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/ddtar ... _brown_3x3. Then get a couple of 4'-8' washing line props from Home Bargains (£3 each), figure-of-eight strip, gutter clamps or something (£10-ish), £1shop (or spare) guy lines and tent pegs, and you'll still come in around £50, and that's with a decent, versatile tarp - shave £30 off that for a cheapo. I've got a Rainexo on order (3mx2m, £10)... triple laminate, comes in three weights, meant to be quite tough - hopefully quiet, too.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Rebiam
Bongolier

Post by Rebiam » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi - I use a standard tarp and attach it to the hooks which are under the AFT using these and guy it out with cheap poles

http://www.uktarps.com/hold-on-clips

These are brilliant - grip the tarp anywhere and have never come undone - the tighter you attach them the tighter they grip.
'98 Green over Silver 4WD AFT

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

jojay5
Bongolier

Post by jojay5 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:10 pm

I quite like the look of these. £80 though (hence why I haven't bought one yet)

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/outdo ... wning.html
James, Jo & Erin
JAL/V6/LPG/Mushroom/Full Side Conversion/Cannon Forge Bed
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:37 pm

jojay5 wrote:I quite like the look of these. £80 though (hence why I haven't bought one yet)

I like the fact it's got a window! Good to keep an eye on the kids, etc...
Image Image
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:58 pm

I have used off the shelf tarpaulins with poles and guys borrowed from my Easycamp Daytona when stopping just for one or two nights. I have even used a spare awning rail as a centre pole to give added headroom. All perfectly adequate for an overnight stop.

However one unkind person did remark that I had made a nice campsite look like a refugee camp.

He is a "glamper" type so water off a ducks back. :lol:
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:14 pm

Driver+Passengers wrote:
jojay5 wrote:I quite like the look of these. £80 though (hence why I haven't bought one yet)

I like the fact it's got a window! Good to keep an eye on the kids, etc...
We've got the older version of this (which wasn't £80) and learned a valuable lesson. Don't let rain pool on the roof and don't leave it to its own devices in high winds with several kilos of rain sitting on it.

You'll bend your poles

It's actually a very handy bit of kit but I don't think I'd pay £80. See if you can get one cheaper (someone may even stock the older style which has bigger windows).

Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
vj3
Bongonaut

Post by vj3 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:17 pm

thanks for all the replies.
i still like the look of the 'bus -shelter' canopy i mentioned.

i emailed the company and they were quick to reply with advice

will keep you all posted

v
Luke and Debs
Bongolier

Post by Luke and Debs » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:56 pm

i use the kyham sun canopy.

check their store out

good in the sun just not the best in the rain as can fill up. hence the name though. :lol:

luke
Luke (V6 and LOVING IT)
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 pm

To stop water filling up a tarp on top, get an extendible washing line prop then cut a hole in tennis ball and pop it on top. Use that to prop up the tarp in the middle. It might fall over in wind, but should otherwise be held down in place by tarp tension.
Image Image
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:08 am

i have a bus shelter -it was called something else and came from funkyleisure.com but it definitely the same thing but much cheaper than £80 but a couple of years ago so it may have gone up.you could buy the bits you needed separately so i didnt need to add the figure of 8 or the lines or the pegs which cut the cost down. i had them from the awning.The reason i got it was because i couldnt manage the awning on my own -
This is very simple to put on and quick -funky leisure do tell you not to leave it in the upright position unattended, Their poles are telescopic so you can just lower them to let the rain run off rather than pool I take it down in windy conditions but then the very expensive roll out ones get taken down in wind too.I like it i love the colors but it really is a fairweather thing and in terms of shelter and stability in gales and snow doesnt compare at all with the khyam awning.

I wanted a windbreak to put round as well but am still looking for one which matches the look -i am now considering dismantling the old grey one and replacing the fabric with cheap flowery shower curtains just in case anyone cant see my bright orange bus shelter :oops:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:46 am

Hopeless in the wind, including a day with puffy clouds and thermal gusts. Makes it hard to leave it unattended unless very well secured and/or parked in a very sheltered spot. But quick to put up and take down so maybe that doesn't matter.
sdsk
Bongolier

Post by sdsk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Obelink do some interesting tarps/awnings. (Google/Chrome will translate any reviews)
We've used one free standing in some baking hot weather (must have been a year or two ago...)
They could probably be attached to a bongo with a pole and clamp kit (http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=460.
ImageImage
2001 Aero 2.0l JAL Skylift roof & K2 Campers Intrepid Rear conversion in Carbon Fibre
vj3
Bongonaut

Post by vj3 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:38 am

took the plunge and ordered one from the Bus Shelter company.

will let you all know what it is like when it arrives.

v

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”