New member seeking advice

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

nicola
Apprentice Bongonaut

New member seeking advice

Post by nicola » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:43 am

Hello Bongo Forum! New member - living in Bath

I'm hoping to get some feedback as I am about to purchase a bongo and get it converted into a camper and it's a major investment with a vertical learning curve!

My current position is I've seen a V6 in Worcestershire and am hoping not to lose it while I work out which conversion would suit me. I like the idea of a rear conversion. These don't seem very common though. Is there any reason for this? Anyone know someone who is excellent at rear conversions in case the dealer in Worcestershire is unable to create one?

Regards and thank you

Nicola
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Re: New member seeking advice

Post by Poohbear » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:59 am

I assume you're talking about JAL. If so they do a rear conversion. I think there are a fair number of rear conversions amongst the people here. Different conversions suit different needs. You probably need to have a chat with Phil and discuss your requirements in detail. Have you had a good look at their website as they show most things on there http://www.jalimports.co.uk/index.html
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:04 am

Also give some thought to just how you intend to use the van, how many seats you need, if your using the van for day trips or short breaks (2-3 days) or longer holidays. Worth taking a look at this thread as well showing lots of conversions and ideas http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 47&t=37365
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:28 am

Welcome :-) Rear conversion gives the opportunity for a full width bed, and since Bongos are narrower than VWs etc, this is valuable, as the bed in a side conversion can be a bit narrow for two people. On the other hand, a rear conversion means you can't make best use of the Bongo as a rear loading goods carrier. You'd do well to look at other peoples conversions in helping you decide what might suit you best. Personally, I love the versatility of an unconverted Bongo and I toy with the idea of a swing out removable kitchen unit, with a tailgate throwover awning (though nobody makes exactly what I'd want so I'd have to DIY it) 8)
sdsk
Bongolier

Post by sdsk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:41 pm

Our Bongo came from JAL and is fitted with their Skylift roof.

There are some pictures of our rear conversion on the Bongo Wiki:
http://mazdabongo.wikispaces.com/Conver ... onversions

and photobucket:
http://s156.photobucket.com/user/darron ... ngo?page=1

This conversion was done by K2 campers (http://www.k2campers.co.uk/bongo_conversions.php), based near Southampton.
JAL didn't do rear conversions at the time. The conversions they did do required water and gas to be connected from outside the van ..... so watch out for that.

I've recently added a hanging rail with (Ikea Skubb) organiser in the rear wardobe and a rail on the outside to allow the table to fit on the rear of the kitchen for use when cooking outside.

The rear conversion suits us, as we wanted to keep some proper seats (and belts) for the children that weren't a mile away in the back of the van. Creating a comfortable bed from the folded down seats is something we're still working on. :D

Good luck!

Darron
ImageImage
2001 Aero 2.0l JAL Skylift roof & K2 Campers Intrepid Rear conversion in Carbon Fibre
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Heres my cheap DIY conversion
I didnt have a lot to spend but needed to keep all 8 seats
Cost less than £150
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Nicola, since you're so close try and get to Southern Softie near Calne.

Bear in mind the Saturday walk, but everyone will happily show off their conversions and talk pros and cons.

Six years on we're still camping in ours unconverted as it is so versatile.

If stopping on site more than 1 night we use a 2 man tent as a shed, £12 from Asda, goes up in 2 mins, pile the junk in.

We do have a table which fits so we can eat sat on middle seat.

Forum Mod Madmile does a grad job converting.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”