middle swivel seats - north star conversions

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

weeginger73
Bongonaut

middle swivel seats - north star conversions

Post by weeginger73 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:51 pm

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this conversion company and these swivel seats?

http://www.northstarconversions.co.uk/8.html

It seems like the perfect solution to have seats facing forward for driving safely with children in car seats, then just swivel them round when parked up. I haven't seen anything like this before and sounds great when paired with their outback removable conversion. They said they'd send it all up to me on a pallate for easy DIY installation.

My only concern is that although the swivel plate has been crash tested, the seats haven't (the company says this would be too expensive) and I don't want to compromise on my child's safety. I was wondering if anyone has these seats or any comments on the safety of the modification? I'm not very technical so am finding it difficult to decide.
winchman
Supreme Being

Re: middle swivel seats - north star conversions

Post by winchman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09 pm

I like the idea but has the swivel been tested for one seat or the weight of two????
I cant comment much more really as I havent seen one or know the full story
Personally I feel itch much better and would look better to fir two swivel captains chairs from a Kia sedona or Ford Galaxy, as you are fitting a factory manufactured fully tested seat assembly in the same method as it was originally designed for.
Griffin
Bongolier

Post by Griffin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:07 pm

It's a good idea bit HOW MUCH :shock:

I did the seat slider change (so you can move the seats whichever way the seat is facing) and then it's just a case or undoing 4 bolts, 'swiveling the seat' (ok lifting it and turning it around but it's doable, I just stand astride it and lift it from the centre) and doing up 4 bolts.

Just a thought but have you tried having your kids travel backwards ? mine love it and I am comfortable with the safety aspect (whilst I appreciate the views of others).
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:38 pm

Bear in mind your average rock and roll bed you can pick up on eBay for a few hundred quid won't be crash tested either. Same applies to anything any of the normal Bongo converters would fit in a camper van.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:41 am

"two swivel captains chairs from a Kia sedona or Ford Galaxy" may well be crash tested - in a Kia Sedona, or a Ford Galaxy. As far as I know, they have not been crash tested in a Bongo - so how do you ensure that the seat won't simply rip out of the floor in an accident?

If you mount a seat with 4 x M6 bolts it still isn't safe. If you use 'similar' bolts to the Kia / Ford floor fixings, it MAY be - but without crash testing, how do you know that the bit of floor you have chosen is suitable?
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”