Diesel leak

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Gannet
Junior Bongonaut

Diesel leak

Post by Gannet » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Would welcome an opinion before I take Bongo to garage tomorrow.

Very strong hot diesel smell after relatively short run. Fuel dripping onto undertray and dropping on drive. Recently had fuel pump seals replaced after leak from this area (now ok) but now noticed leak from far left glow plug (?) top of engine above injectors (viewed from Driver's side). Diesel heating up on hot engine and smoking when I took a look! Engine has been lumpy on start up recently but runs fine when warm.

Is it a question of tightening up plug or would a new set of plugs be appropriate? Am I on the right track?

Any help gratefully received.
the laird
Supreme Being

Re: Diesel leak

Post by the laird » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Sounds like a burst injector pipe,if it is Simon jones has a set up for sale grab them .if the inj pipe is burst with the seats raised and eng running you should be able to see a leak or spray from the pipe
this could cause a misfire
Hope this is of help
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:18 pm

I've been trying to find a good home for these for a while, so let me know if they are what you need:

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 68&t=59278
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:20 pm

if the glow plug is loose, (the torque setting is very low) you could get fuel blown back up and out. or the thread is damaged.
when i put them in i test them with fairy liquid they often leak, although they have quite a long thread only half goes into the head.

Return to “Techie Stuff”