To waxoyl or not to waxoyl...That is the question.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

hooch
Bongonaut

To waxoyl or not to waxoyl...That is the question.

Post by hooch » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Any tips / experience of waxoyling?

What's the best process? Steam clean first?

Should I pay or DIY?
Surface2air
Bongonaut

Re: To waxoyl or not to waxoyl...That is the question.

Post by Surface2air » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Waxoyl, that is the answer.

Some on here will no doubt suggest you do it yourself but if you haven't the space, equipment or time then you should pay.

I paid for mine which included all the cavity spaces and obviously the underside.

I used this guy: http://jrclassics.co.uk/ but not sure where you are if he'll be any use.
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Well worth paying for a quality job with the cavities filled with white waxoyl. I had mine done on import four and a half years ago by Rustbusters in Poole. It was rust free then and is still rust free now. It cost £650 but that works out well compared to new wheel arches. Its a 95, seventeen next month, with I hope a lot of life left.

It came from the extreme south of Japan and had no underseal at all, just green paint. So if I had left it as it was I would have had a serious rust problem by now.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:45 pm

I did mine on import with the black version of Waxoyl.

Up on ramps, the gunge well thinned with white spirit, warmed and sprayed on using a spraygun and compressor. Dirtiest job I have ever done and a fine coat of wax over everything in the garage.

That said, it seems to have done the job but the next time, if ever, I'll bite the bullet and get a professional to do it. Unless you can get the Bongo high up on garage style ramps it's a horrible job. The alternative approach of using a brush is a non starter, its impossible to get everywhere.
hooch
Bongonaut

Post by hooch » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Right need to find somewhere near Taunton
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:31 pm

If you do it yourself, wear a good quality respirator mask with filters, so you don't breathe in the toxic fumes.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:51 pm

And some eye protection.

First time I did my van, indoors (mate's huge garage) I found that I was having trouble seeing on the way home. When I took out my contacts I discovered why! At least they won't rust.... 8)
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:33 pm

dave_aber wrote:And some eye protection.

First time I did my van, indoors (mate's huge garage) I found that I was having trouble seeing on the way home. When I took out my contacts I discovered why! At least they won't rust.... 8)
Hi
Been there, done that.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: latterly it has been full disposable suit mask and goggles....like CDC :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Waxoil….a heartwarming story.

I really wanted to get some of this into the Bongo chassis before I started using it. I had gone to halfords and bought 2 gallons, and knocked off work early.

I also had the real benefit that SWMBO was out so I had since 3.00pm been shoving the 2 gallon cans into the sink with near boiling water. I should have known things were going to go “slightly wrong” when I started.

I decided to use a Waxoil gun and my compressor, I had the propane burner on in the workshop since 3.00pm flat out and it was like the Sahara, in fact it was so hot I decided a T-shirt and shorts was the dress code.

I entered the kitchen and unscrewed the waxoil lid.

Thhhhuuuumpppppppp !…grwat big snotty big dollop spewed out over the kitchen work-surface... no probs I thought, ...I’ll sort that out when I've finished, as I might make "a little bit more mess yet".... glad she's not in.

Clutching hot waxoil injector thingy, filled with waxoil I squirted and soaked the chassis blasting away, and also practising holding my breath as it went misty in the workshop.

1 Gallon later I was nearly there, I was at the rear cross member, with yet another huge refill.

I ought to point out that I had also decided that at some of the angles I was at pulling and holding the trigger was a pain so I had devised a cunning lock of an elastic band on the trigger so that I could let it do it things whilst it sprayed away. Shove tube into hole and pull trigger… lock and waggle etc.

Enter the cat.

It sat there and looked at me the way only a cat can... it sniffed (approvingly) the dripped waxoil, and I said…

“Huh, you don’t want to be in here matey, this stuff will stick to your fur like brown stuff to a blanket”……and at that very point the jammed on tube extension came off the gun.

Could I release the elastic band round the trigger ? Could I XXXXXX.

The gun squirted warm waxoil/white spirit out at a force never so far experienced, one particularly good jet hit the cat, who bolted, knocking over the 2/3 empty (1/3 full!!) can of hot waxoil, which flowed oh so well under the bongo, and into my clothes T shirt and clothes and skin areas exposed..., but I was still fighting with the hot octopus trying to switch the damned thing off, but I failed, I was saved when it ran out.

Just when I thought nothing could get worse than lying under a bongo with waxoil soaked clothes, waxoil dripping onto my hair and face, and running into my ears... Some waxoil dripped onto the lead lamp... ping... Blackness.

It also pinged the fuse for the lighting circuit, getting myself out of the underneath of the bongo proved fruitful, in that I knew all the places that waxoil had “leaked”.

Removing dripping clothes I entered house in “minimal Clothes” to resolve fuse prob, when Lights went on I saw the cat…

I AM GOING TO DIE IF SHE SEES THIS !

Here Puddie cattie……

This did not improve the sink/kitchen area one little jot, .....ever tried holding a 'waxoiled cat' in a sink with water and rags, and especially when cat does not enjoy it ?

1 hour later cat was scrubbed and very peed off with me, I've had 2 baths, and also cleaned the bath it seems that the bath will not be rusty...scrubbed kitchen floor, sink, worktop

Will she notice?

Cat stinks, garage sticks, alley way stinks, I stink, kitchen smells of lemon washing up liquid, which strangely we seem to nearly be out of, floor stinks.

She will be back any minute [gulp]. Nice job on the bongo tho....... ))

...later that evening...... Alleyway door closes and SWMBO walks in..... "have a nice time dear ?......." "what the HELL is that smell ?"

"Smell ?....er do you mean the waxoil ?" "Is that what it is - its disgusting" "Er..really"....

"yes really, the alleyway stinks, I mean I could smell it when I got out of the car..."
"er...really ?"

"yes, Really, I mean its stinking everywhere out, its even permutated the house " "really"

"yes really and picks up cat - I look away at telly and pray...and ....good grief even the cat smells of it its .... at this point the cat growls.....probably hand enough of being "handled" during the evening......"WELL if your going to be like that madam you grumpy old thing" ..places cat down firmly - cat grumbles some more.. cat exits still grumbling

"Charming... well... Anyway, have you finished?"

THOUGHTS...............

I've got away with it...."all done"...I've got away with it...."think I'll have a beer"...I've got away with it....I've got away with it...."Would you like a glass of wine ?"....I've got away with it....yippee....I've got away with it....and

SHE'S GOT THE HUMP WITH THE CAT - NOT ME !!

Beer.... Bed.... RESULT....... !

But a bit close for comfort......far too close.
Last edited by daveblueozzie on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost without my Bongo.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:46 pm

I'd forgotten about the car story!

And if you do it yourself, as well as avoiding the cat, avoid waxoyling / blocking the diff / axle breathers. If you do, you'll have axle seals leaking and oily brakes.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Doone wrote:If you do it yourself, wear a good quality respirator mask with filters, so you don't breathe in the toxic fumes.
I agree. That is really really important with a substance like atomised waxoyl. Can't be stressed enough!!!!! :?
hooch
Bongonaut

Post by hooch » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:47 pm

This post was so worth it Supreme Being has just made my day with that story....
Tidmo
Bongolier

Post by Tidmo » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:17 am

LOL! Thats cheered my morning up no end! :lol: :lol: =D> =D>
Pourquoi Pas?
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:09 am

New Forest Terrier wrote:Well worth paying for a quality job with the cavities filled with white waxoyl. I had mine done on import four and a half years ago by Rustbusters in Poole. It was rust free then and is still rust free now. It cost £650 but that works out well compared to new wheel arches. Its a 95, seventeen next month, with I hope a lot of life left.

It came from the extreme south of Japan and had no underseal at all, just green paint. So if I had left it as it was I would have had a serious rust problem by now.
£650 seems an awful lot, we paid £350 at Chassis Clean near Warrington to have ours done.
They take a couple of days, first jetwashing everything, removing trim etc and then it goes in a warming oven for about 12 hours to make sure everything is dry. Then they do the treatment.

I did consider doing it myself but having done a few cars in years gone by I knew what a filthy job it is and I reckon you really need to get it on a ramp or over a pit to get at everything easily so took the plunge and paid out.
hooch
Bongonaut

Post by hooch » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:00 pm

The cat tale convinced me to get a man in....

Booked in with these guys next week :0)

http://www.carrestorationuk.co.uk/

Return to “Techie Stuff”