Euro Tunnel

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

LisaMc
Junior Bongonaut

Euro Tunnel

Post by LisaMc » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi

Some advice please. When booking the tunnel, do you book as a car or a car with roofbox or a campervan or car based van (this is for an unconverted AFT)?

Many thanks in advance
LisaMc
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Euro Tunnel

Post by LisaMc » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:41 pm

That sounded really short and demanding :oops: Didnt mean it too. My hubby needs the answer to go to Spa for Grand Prix but my internet connection is only lasting 10 mins at the moment before I have to turn the box off for at least half an hour before rebooting it all. Apologies for shortness.

Lisa
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:44 pm

If you are unconverted you can't be a campervan.
If it's not got a roofbox it can't be car and roofbox.

So I'd just go for "car" BUT you must be sure to tick the overheight box or they may not have a space for you in the full height carriages - I don't think an AFT will fit in the double decker section.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:04 am

Hi, I got a tin top & as much as i know when doing the tunnel my van tends to be in with the "over height" too.. (Transits/ landys/T4's/even the big touring buses.) hope this helps..?!!
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 am

Our tunnel ticket (for going to Spa might see you there) is as a campervan
It is converted but as far as I can see its the dimensions that matter as has been said previously.
Perhaps they want to know if its a camper because of carrying gas. They do check that it is turned off before letting you on.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:01 am

If you have gas they'll stick you in a lane on your own and you think you've been forgotten as they load everyone else. You'll be at the back of the train, presumably so if you burst into flames you only burn yourself. #-o

I think the only people further back on the train are the disabled as they're then near the toilets.
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:37 am

Small additional point - you dont run off an LPG conversion do you? If so I believe you cannot use Euro Tunnel (unless its changed in the last couple of months)
Liz
'99 V6 White over Silver - as yet unconverted but I may be converted!
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:59 am

flossie wrote:Small additional point - you dont run off an LPG conversion do you? If so I believe you cannot use Euro Tunnel (unless its changed in the last couple of months)
The ET regulations still prohibit any vehicle capable of running on gas (but not just carrying gas) from travelling.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/site-information/lpg/
LisaMc
Junior Bongonaut

Post by LisaMc » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks for all your replies. No not LPG, its diesel. Not sure if he will be carrying gas or not. When we went thro the site last night, we couldnt see a "height" option for you to fill in but perhaps we missed it.

Briwy - I wont be going and they will be the loud English no doubt put in a corner (the campsite that they usually use in Germany is run by the same person and he knows them well :roll: )
LisaMc
Junior Bongonaut

Post by LisaMc » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi

Got a problem and need some advice quick from someone who has travelled on the tunnel before in an uncoverted Bongo. Couldnt find anywhere on the site to tick "over height" so phoned them up for advice. The bloke wasnt very helpful and looked at pictures on the net of a bongo and said that it might be a car with roofbox or it might be a campervan. I told him the log book says its a MPV and he said well if it has sleeping accommodation then its a campervan and that if we book as a car and they inspect it and decide its a camper, the ticket will be void. The prices for campervans are obviously more and I dont see why I should have to book as one as its not. At the same time, I dont want him to get there and find his ticket is invalid!

Please advice me.
Many thanks
Lisa
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Have you found this page ? Its the Info page on vehicle types
http://tickets.eurotunnel.com/booking/h ... esc_GB.asp
As the Bongo exceeds 1.85m (with AFT) its a least the Van, maybe Camper if you meet the Living accommodation requirements.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:13 pm

LisaMc wrote:Thanks for all your replies. No not LPG, its diesel. Not sure if he will be carrying gas or not. When we went thro the site last night, we couldnt see a "height" option for you to fill in but perhaps we missed it.

Briwy - I wont be going and they will be the loud English no doubt put in a corner (the campsite that they usually use in Germany is run by the same person and he knows them well :roll: )
It's hidden away here in the bit about "vehicle types".....
Car with roof box/bikes: Any car (including roof box, roof rack or cycles) over 1.85m in height, used for private, tourist, leisure or business travel. This excludes minibuses, campervans, trailers, caravans, motorcycles and any light commercial goods vehicles carrying commercial goods for resale.
If the height of your vehicle exceeds 1.85m, even though you are not carrying roof box, roof rack or cycles, please select this category.
If it doesn't have all the bits that make it a camper you just select "car+roofbox" to tell them it's overheight.

If it's status is questioned just show them it has no bed cooker or sink etc.
LisaMc
Junior Bongonaut

Post by LisaMc » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:58 pm

Many thanks for all your help. We booked it as a car with roofbox (as thats any vehicle over 1.85m) and for good measure, hubby is going to take the log book with him to prove its an MPV :lol:

Just about to do another message requesting advice in the techie section :(

Lisa
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:23 pm

LisaMc wrote:Many thanks for all your help. We booked it as a car with roofbox (as thats any vehicle over 1.85m) and for good measure, hubby is going to take the log book with him to prove its an MPV :lol:

Just about to do another message requesting advice in the techie section :(

Lisa
#

If he is going abroad he MUST take the logbook with him - the original not a copy and originals of all other documents MOT, Insurance etc.

Copies are not acceptable if you are required to produce the documents at any time.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:07 am

LisaMc wrote: Briwy - I wont be going and they will be the loud English no doubt put in a corner (the campsite that they usually use in Germany is run by the same person and he knows them well :roll: )
Don't know what site your hubby was on Lisa but the loudest were unquestionably the Dutch.
Three sets of them on the site we were on all with big sod off sound/light systems competing with each other until 1 in the morning. Crap music as well. Lot of unhappy people.

Return to “Going Abroad”