Same tyre size on all wheels?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Printer
Bongonaut

Same tyre size on all wheels?

Post by Printer » Fri May 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi all

I have a 2WD 2.5 Diesel Automatic Bongo.

I posted here last year about tyres and followed the advice to buy 215/65 for my rear tyres and keep the 195/70s on front. The front tyres are now needing replaced.

So should I get another 2 of the same 215/65 R15 100H for the front?

Someone said I should have smaller tyres on front but im not so sure?

Was gonna go for these four all round as this what I have on rear at the moment:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s422p723 ... 100H_XL_TL_

Thoughts please
scanner
Supreme Being

Re: Same tyre size on all wheels?

Post by scanner » Fri May 11, 2012 4:16 pm

I've been running the same size all round for almost 5 years now - no point in doing anything else.

Anyway in a 2WD it makes not a jot of difference, it's only 4WD where the maximum difference in circumference mustn't exceed 1% or so.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri May 11, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi
Four of those will do very nicely, and 100 load rating is excellent
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri May 11, 2012 5:58 pm

I believe the Accelera's are directional so you wont be able to swap left to right & vice versa. You also don't really want a directional tyre on the spare. Obviously, it'll still work if fitted the wrong way round, but the handling may go a bit squiffy in the wet :).

Another thing to factor in when buying tyres online is whether you can find someone local that can fit them for you. Many places such a National Tyres will refuse to fit tyres that they have not supplied. Many independent garages will fit a tyre + valve & balance for about £15 each, but you also have to pay the courier cost.

I needed a replacement tyre for my Volvo the other day & did a trawl round all the online suppliers. Taking into account all the above extra costs, the cheapest place was Halfords. I booked it at about 11pm last Thursday for fitting the following Tuesday. I dropped the wheel in to them at midday on Friday, so they could fit it at their leisure over the weekend. By 12:30 the tyre had arrived, been fitted & was ready for me to collect. Pleasantly surprised & pleased with the price & service :)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat May 12, 2012 4:20 am

bet they put it on inside out though :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Sat May 12, 2012 10:43 am

yep been using 215's all round since I had mine 9 years ago now, shame you aren't closer they are £40.00 fully fitted here at our local garage.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun May 13, 2012 9:27 pm

When I bought mine it had 205s all round. This seems to be a good compromise. Currently I have 215s on the back but only because I came by some with some extra steel wheels.

Once the 215s wear out I will stay with 205s. I have at least one spare in each size and carry a 205 as onboard spare as I don't want two different sizes on the front if I get a puncture.

I had the rear end come away a couple of times on greasy roundabouts when the original 205s wore down to the markers but as yet never with good tread or with the 215s which are now getting a bit thin.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism

Return to “Techie Stuff”