Flashlube or no flashlube that is the question?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Flashlube for LPG

Poll ended at Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:58 am

Yes Flashlube essential
25%
No Flashlube not needed
75%

Total votes: 4
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Flashlube or no flashlube that is the question?

Post by New Forest Terrier » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:58 am

After endless hesitating and making excuses I have finally decided to get the Bongo beast onto LPG. The only remaining question is do I have flashlube or not.

The converter I am going to use is AJC in Hythe who do Prinz systems with and without and claim no problems so far with both choices. I asked at Discount Trucks our local experts and the have had Bongos in with and without and no problems with the conversion either way. They reckon the valve seats are fine with LPG anyway, plus you still use some petrol.

So its a bit of a guessing game, will valve seat wear or gummed up lambda sensor get you first :roll:

So far I am leaning towards without flashlube, having none on my Jeep which runs perfectly on LPG which seems to have cured its ongoing lambda sensor problems. Its an elderly Bongo, 95 V6, so will it be any different from the newer ones like Hayden's which run fine without flashlube. The milleage is around 80 thou in miles and the emmissions are really good.

What are the experiences of others with LPG conversions. Bet its a 50/50 split like all the advice I have had so far.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Re: Flashlube or no flashlube that is the question?

Post by New Forest Terrier » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:00 am

OOps second submission was not meant. Can someone sort out please.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:22 am

Hi
Done :D
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
AeroNut
Bongolier

Post by AeroNut » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:24 am

Hi NFT,
I've just had mine converted to LPG in the last couple of weeks.I've had the Prins system installed too. I went for the "valve care" system (Electronic one) However as mentioned the manufacturers say you don't need it. Your choice really.
One point that I didn't realise until after though. When the lube runs out, it sets of an alarm or maybe it warns you when its really low not sure yet..... Then you have about an hour of driving before it then shuts down the LPG system!... so no more LPG until you've replaced the lube...... Don't quite know why that alarm isn't switch off ...able seeing as you prob' don't really need it? As long as you are prepared for that.

Regards
Terry
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:55 am

No Flashlube....no problems
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:14 pm

Flashlube ... I wouldn't leave home without it ..!!

I had my Toyota Estima converted to LPG nearly five years ago and I did a bit of searching around for info... including joining a very good LPG dedicated forum .. http://lpgforum.co.uk/ .. even there, although a lot of excellent 'general' advise ..not a lot of specific .. model.. information ..

I know for fact the Autogas guy I used for my conversion had converted many a Toyota Previa that use the same 'lean burn' engine as my Estima, but even he said he never fitted Flashlube ... unless specifically requested to do it ..

So ... I had the 'cheapo' vacuum operated system fitted 'just in case' ... manually (easily) set to around one drip every ten seconds ...

I can't honestly say if the UCL is doing anything .. or not .. I just feel easier in my mind, and glad that it's there ...

I have just had my Bongo V6 converted by Paul @ lpgimports (Coventry) ... I had read up on the 'sophisticated' ECU controlled / electronic system which looked good as in particular it does not suffer from fluctuating vacuum (who remembers the old vacuum operated windscreen wipers / washers from many year back) .. I just said I wanted a Flashlube vacuum system fitted as part of my 'package' ... as it seems OK on my Toyota ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Bongo s aren't Previa s :D :D

No flash lube needed Discount Trucks and my LPG fitters both said not needed - if u want a kit though I've got one as I bought it before I realised ...

70.9 p a litre at the mo thanks to the mild winter - you ll regret not doing it sooner Mary :D
Liz
'99 V6 White over Silver - as yet unconverted but I may be converted!
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:11 pm

LPG is still around 66p a litre here in the Midlands ...!!

The Autogas fitter of my Toyota system did not advise / or not advise fitting Flashlube .. I got it fitted at my own discretion after I did a bit of research ..

When having the LPG on my ..V6 BONGO .. once again at my own discretion I have had Flashlube fitted ... something I ..personally .. feel comfortable that it is part of .. my .. system..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Techie Stuff”