autobox question

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

seacow
Apprentice Bongonaut

autobox question

Post by seacow » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Sorry if this is an old one, couldn't find it with a search.

I am wondering about the "HOLD" function - if I put it on and put it in second (S or 2) will is stay in that, or will it use first and second (holding it in second).

I am interested in case I have to drive in snow which leads on to the next question - how are they in snow? Mine is a 2WD 2.5TD model. Can I use the manual selection to keep it in second for example to help with traction? I am expecting plenty enough torque for it to be able to pull away in second. I haven't tried it yet - because question 3: Can I do this, or will it harm the clutch?

Thanks

Chris
Just got the bongo, and loving it already!
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Re: autobox question

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:55 pm

Yes and there's no clutch to harm :)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:33 am

2 WD ..... ooooh they are NOT good in snow (quite scary in fact) ... I bought some snow socks last year which are fab however if you drive on part snow, part tarmac it ruins them so they are just a get out of trouble solution. If I dont put Bongo into hibernation for the harsh winter months I am seriously thinking about winter tyres.

I didnt realise you could get 2wd in diesels .... ah well you learn something every day :D
Liz
'99 V6 White over Silver - as yet unconverted but I may be converted!
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:01 pm

I've not compared the 4wd with 2wd in the snow, but we managed to move an entire 3 bedroom house (a lot of stuff) up and down snow covered roads in about 20 trips during the very worst of the snow (aroun the 21st-24th Dec) in our 2wd Bongo. It took some careful driving and some digging (to clear a two wheel track) to get up steep sections of road, but we did it! Ours doesn't even have snow tyres, which can make a huge difference I'm told.

Much of the time, I used hold and S2 to lock it in second. I think I'm correct in saying that gives you more revs of the engine for lower wheel speed to prevent too much wheelspein from a standstill. I then let it roll downhill whilst locked in second gear and pootled uphil at a constant speed (where possible) uphill.

I am considering some new tyres for winter though.
Beyond A to B

Return to “Techie Stuff”