roof wont lift

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

harri127
Apprentice Bongonaut

roof wont lift

Post by harri127 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:07 pm

hi just bought 1995 freda free top have been looking at various posts but not sure if things happen right engine running hand brake on press lift button but no sounds eg beeping unless press unlock button mark
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Re: roof wont lift

Post by westonwarrior » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:11 pm

needs to be in park and the hand brake switch some times needs cleaning or it could be a fuse no 12 middle roe by drivers knee 30 amp
gill+berniebann

Post by gill+berniebann » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:20 pm

not bein funny but hand brake needs to be full on and there is alock button inside roof try pressin that as well
harri127
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by harri127 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:52 pm

:cry: tried those things should it beep when pressing just open button only beeps if press unlock first have noticed dash roof light flashing is this normal cheers harri127
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:48 pm

If engine is running, gears set to P or N & handbrake is on (& red Handbrake lamp is lit on dash), the roof should go up on the button. The Unlock switch is only there for bringing it down again.

Many new folks have had initial trouble getting to grips with the roof but 99% of the time this is something really simple.

Whereabouts are you? There is bound to someone localish to have a look.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
harri127
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by harri127 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:08 am

hi bought the bongo with roof not working live in hucknall notts
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:32 pm

It is possible that your auto free top control unit is faulty. It is a bit awkward to acess if you have a full side conversion.

Tony

Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
harri127
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by harri127 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:58 pm

cheers for that tony i have my suspicion it could that but do u know what the values at the 4 pin plug and if i could put a direct live to one or two of the terminals thanks im getting power from the 30amp fuse
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Yes if you can access a plug then the wiring diagrams might help you;

If you click the orange box you can also see the internals of the module, the motors are driven by a pair of relays in a single case within the module.
Oh and if you drive the motors directly you MUST drive the pair of them do not drive one at a time or you will crack the roof :!: :!:
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Have you tried whipping off the centre console covering the handbrake? From memory there is a pin switch with spring screwed onto the handbrake housing... It might be worth unscrewing it, giving the contacts a clean, then re-fitting and giving it another try... :D
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
robdrinky
Bongolier

Post by robdrinky » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:56 pm

We had a similar problem earlier this year and after doing some research and fault finding discovered that the AFT control unit is unlikely to have failed(nothing is ever for certain though).
If you are confident that the checks suggested in the other responses are not the problem then you can supply power direct to the motors if you follow the loom from the control unit up to a rubber grommet where the loom goes through to the roof.
You will need to remove trim to access the loom.
Once uncovered there should be a blue wire and red wire(noticeably larger diameter than the others in that area),these can be stripped back to allow you to supply power to the motors,on ours neither motor would run and once replaced our AFT worked fine.

Obviously if the motors do run then the problem lies elsewhere but its a starting point.
With our Bongo the blue and the red wires changed colour between the AFT control unit and the location near the grommet so i had to strip them back there ,its worth checking if the wires do the same on yours as it would be easier to use the pins at the connector.
Hope this is helpfull and if you need any info about getting the roof open manually to access the motors let me know.
the voices made me do it!

P reg unconverted blue/grey 2.5td AFT
harri127
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by harri127 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:04 pm

thanks very much will try that asap will tell how i go on
harri127
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by harri127 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:00 pm

think motors have gone how do you lift roof manually to access motors. also does any one know where can buy 2
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:05 pm

harri127 wrote:think motors have gone how do you lift roof manually to access motors. also does any one know where can buy 2
If you put your location in your profile, it may help members point you in the best direction for help. I've had my roof fixed twice by Adrian in Bury, at v reasonable cost.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:33 am

Sorry to hear of your problems with the new Bongo. Did you buy it privately or from a dealer? If it was the latter, it would be worth speaking to them in the first instance as you may be able to get them to assist with the repair. Have you seen the roof working before or after you bought the van?

If you need spare parts, Kevin at Southern Bongos is worth speaking to. I know he has a complete AFT in his store which someone is apparently going to collect from him, but it's been sat there a while and he may want to get shot of it. PM for me for his contact details. I'll be seeing him this week so can enquire if he has any motors available.

Return to “Techie Stuff”